No announcement yet.

Linux 5.13 Released With Apple M1 Bringup, Landlock, FreeSync HDMI + Much More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.13 Released With Apple M1 Bringup, Landlock, FreeSync HDMI + Much More

Phoronix: Linux 5.13 Released With Apple M1 Bringup, Landlock, FreeSync HDMI + Much More

Linus Torvalds has just released the Linux 5.13 kernel as stable...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hi ,

I have some weird kernel issues using the latest kernel...

I have 4x monitors connected with an RX 6900XT . sometimes when I boot or when the screen saver turns off the monitors - and turn them on again everything is messed up. (monitors changing positions , changing resolutions and so on.)

I have tried with xrandr and is working but I have found another problem

Sometimes at boot one of my monitors somehow ,the kernel doesnt recognized it and it has resolutions up to 1024x768 instead of 1920x1080, this cant be fixed with xrandr because the kernel have already detected these monitors and supposedly that specific resolutions are correct.

Using the LTS kernel this is not happening but it is happening with the latest kernel 5.13

Any solution to fix this??? or somewhere to report it?

Comment

This new Freesync HDMI feature: does it work under Wayland? Is it enabled the same way as DP Freesync was?

Comment

do you have any references for the faster io_uring stuff?

AFAIK, the io_uring maintainer is constantly finding ways to make the compiled code smaller and shuffle variables around to optimize the cache by placing together the most used variables together...

Besides few very interesting features such as multishot polling, I am not aware of anything major in terms of performance between 5.12 and 5.13...

Comment

I am actually sort of curious about what a cooling driver does.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfyrion View Post
            Hi ,

I have some weird kernel issues using the latest kernel...

I have 4x monitors connected with an RX 6900XT . sometimes when I boot or when the screen saver turns off the monitors - and turn them on again everything is messed up. (monitors changing positions , changing resolutions and so on.)

I have tried with xrandr and is working but I have found another problem

Sometimes at boot one of my monitors somehow ,the kernel doesnt recognized it and it has resolutions up to 1024x768 instead of 1920x1080, this cant be fixed with xrandr because the kernel have already detected these monitors and supposedly that specific resolutions are correct.

Using the LTS kernel this is not happening but it is happening with the latest kernel 5.13

Any solution to fix this??? or somewhere to report it?
            When using the mainline kernel rather than a distro provided one, you have to report bugs to the subsystem/driver maintainer yourself. Be prepared for a lot of back and forth, queries for additional information, and/or grumpiness. You'll definitely need to know how to submit a proper bug report in any case. Guidance on doing that varies, but here's what the FreeBSD documentation recommends on properly diagnosing and submitting bug reports.
            How to best formulate and submit a problem report to the FreeBSD Project

Comment

Anyone tried FreeSync HDMI ? Is it working out of the box with XOrg?
              I can't test because I'm stuck on W10.

Comment

At this stage, is there any ETA for this kernel in Fedora?

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                  You'll get it fairly quickly in rawhide, a couple of days. rawhide is now at 5.13rc7

I'm not sure they will update the kernel in F34 since devs. But if they do, this takes a couple of weeks, like the recent change from 5.11 to 5.12.

This is the fed35 schedule : https://fedorapeople.org/groups/sche...key-tasks.html

Or you can compile&package it yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                    if you really want to test it and cannot / don't want to compile it by yourself, you can try the vanilla packages.

they're still at the rc7 but will probably upgraded very soon. (I'm using rc7 right now and has been ok for a while)

Comment

Working...
                    X