Linux Developers Discuss A Global Counter For Block/Disk Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jacob View Post

Both have contributed to Linux far more than you ever did, so that's that.
    And for that reason their names will be carved into the Linux history for ever!

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post

Of course they will, just like every other contributor. Just because you feel an irrational hate towards them doesn't mean the world at large has a duty to ostracise them.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
        Of course they will, just like every other contributor.
        Nope, they will have a better recognition more than the others not matter what.

Just because you feel an irrational hate towards them doesn't mean the world at large has a duty to ostracise them.
        Let us say all together a great farewell to the sarcasm...
        Last edited by Danielsan; 27 June 2021, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

I totally agreed with any single one of those.
          Then you are not very consistent. I read all, and several pairs are clear contractions.

Comment

What about the performance impact of performing an atomic operation on the same global variable for every disk operation? Wouldn't this increase latency due to synchronization between cpus?

Comment

Originally posted by thegodland View Post
              What about the performance impact of performing an atomic operation on the same global variable for every disk operation? Wouldn't this increase latency due to synchronization between cpus?
              I think the counter is used only when new disk is inserted instead of for every IO.

Comment

Originally posted by ALRBP View Post

Then you are not very consistent. I read all, and several pairs are clear contractions.
                It was a joke :-)

Comment

Hi there,

I've been contributing to the Linux kernel since 2005 while working in Canonical and Red Hat.
                  And I'll keep doing it now that I work for Microsoft, get over it

Comment

Originally posted by ALRBP View Post

That was the point. A little bit of something for everyone

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post

We need a Linux Walk of Fame

Comment

Working...
                      X