Canonical Partners With Blender Around Paid LTS Application Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Agreed. It simply means that they end up focusing on the wrong things. Unlike Microsoft the Linux communities (and supporting companies) don't have the man power to waste on pointless projects. It just ends up stagnating Linux and other FOSS operating systems. If anything it undermines the existing technical users who simply migrate to something better.
    And moving from sysvinit is a good example of pointless stuff? Unity is also still a great desktop. I don't see anything pointless about either Upstart or Unity except for FOSS users need for constant war.

Comment

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post

It would be interesting to see if you had any technical arguments about Upstart.
      For example... UpStart does not use cgroups by default , that requires an explicit stanza. Resource management is also (to the best of my knowledge) not something UpStart does either e.g. limiting and/or prioritizing CPU, memory , I/O Bandwidth usage.

Now your turn. Do you have any technical arguments against systemd for example?

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
        Now your turn. Do you have any technical arguments against systemd for example?
        You're the one who is against things, not me. That way of thinking, where everything is a war and you must be opposed to anything else than your own favorites,
        fundamentally conflicts with my personality.

But you cannot be in favor of systemd, because your whole point was that Canonical should not have replaced sysvinit but fixed it instead. And obviously, systemd init replaces sysvinit just as much as Upstart did, which is the exact thing that makes you angry. Or are you simply a hypocrite?

Comment

You're the one who is against things, not me. That way of thinking, where everything is a war and you must be opposed to anything else than your own favorites,
          fundamentally conflicts with my personality.
          And why is being against things a problem? Why is that way of thinking negative? You put negativity in a bad context. It's is possible to accept negativity positivity. Instead it appears as if you fail to look at criticism as a opportunity for improvement. If people did not think negative about dragging stuff along the ground then the wheel would not have been invented.

But you cannot be in favor of systemd, because your whole point was that Canonical should not have replaced sysvinit but fixed it instead. And obviously, systemd init replaces sysvinit just as much as Upstart did, which is the exact thing that makes you angry. Or are you simply a hypocrite?
          I do have many things I dislike about systemd. The way timers are implemented for example. You are incorrect and manipulative in your conclusions the way I see it.
          Last edited by waxhead; 02 July 2021, 02:07 PM. Reason: Fixed typos

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post

And why is being against things a problem? Why is that way of thinking negative?
            Well, it makes people stupid and ignorant, which I consider to be negative. I use Firefox, but that doesn't mean that I have to therefore dislike Chromium. I like Gnome, but that doesn't make me dislike KDE. I focus on Firefox and Gnome because those are my likes. There is very little for me to gain by attacking KDE and Chromium. If we all used this approach, then the only view of Linux would be that it's extremely bad, evil and that nobody should use it. Which, you know, is in fact the image that currently scares people away. It's not a good idea at all.

Clean and cheap energy is very popular among American Democrats, so American Republicans must be against it. This way of thinking makes people stupid.

I do have many things I dislike about systemd. The way timers are implemented for example. You are incorrect and manipulative in your conclusions the way I see it.
            What? I said that you can't _like_ systemd, because it replaces sysvinit, which is what you're against. You specifically said it's wrong to replace sysvinit and that it should be improved instead. Systemd isn't really relevant to the development of Upstart, because Systemd only appeared many years later, as an improvement over Upstart. For some reason, it's suddenly morally acceptable to not contribute the improvements to Upstart.

Comment

Well, it makes people stupid and ignorant, which I consider to be negative. I use Firefox, but that doesn't mean that I have to therefore dislike Chromium. I like Gnome, but that doesn't make me dislike KDE. I focus on Firefox and Gnome because those are my likes. There is very little for me to gain by attacking KDE and Chromium. If we all used this approach, then the only view of Linux would be that it's extremely bad, evil and that nobody should use it. Which, you know, is in fact the image that currently scares people away. It's not a good idea at all.
              I disagree very strongly. The very fact that you can answer to me, because you dislike what I said proves otherwise. Knowledge grows because people disagrees and don't like the other persons point of view. The motivation to do something better is also fueled by dislike. I for example wrote a utility for Windows called DriveGLEAM that shows disk activity in the Windows tray. I did this precisely because there was another similar program that on top of this cost money. Nothing "that simple" should cost money in my point of view, so that is why I wrote something that was better performance wise as well as free , therefore enriching the software library available and making new friends (and foes) at the same time thanks to lots of emails from users. Have you considered that your way of thinking perhaps may be a bit ignorant as well?

Clean and cheap energy is very popular among American Democrats, so American Republicans must be against it. This way of thinking makes people stupid.
              I am Norwegian so I don't care much about American politics, but I agree with you that being against something just for the sake of being against it is not very bright. For example our Norwegian government wants to power oil platforms from land. People somehow don't understand that you will have a lot of energy loss through a big cable from land to the oil platform which does what? pump up energy that they will burn somewhere else. The same government is talking about the importance of transporting food the shortest way from source to destination because of this environment nonsense, but nobody is talking about having energy taking the shortest path to good use. Oil platforms have plenty of energy available right there for crying out loud - why electrify that from land. This I think is a perfect example of why it is both healthy and wise to dislike things and attack ideas you don't like. Negative? Yes absolutely, but instead of endorsing bad ideas you should be against it otherwise nothing positive comes out of it.

What? I said that you can't _like_ systemd, because it replaces sysvinit, which is what you're against. You specifically said it's wrong to replace sysvinit and that it should be improved instead. Systemd isn't really relevant to the development of Upstart, because Systemd only appeared many years later, as an improvement over Upstart. For some reason, it's suddenly morally acceptable to not contribute the improvements to Upstart.
              Maybe you where drunk and/or on medication when writing this. Where exactly did I say that I was against sysvinit?

Comment

Working...
              X