Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Libzip 1.8 Released With Support For Zstd Compressed ZIP Files

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Libzip 1.8 Released With Support For Zstd Compressed ZIP Files

    Phoronix: Libzip 1.8 Released With Support For Zstd Compressed ZIP Files

    Libzip as the widely-used C library for accessing. creating, and modifying Zip archives is out with a new feature release...

    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...p-1.8-Released

  • #2
    Doesn't ZIP means that the files are each compressed individually? Then only with large text files there is probably a use for ZSTD/LZMA.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by peterdk View Post
      Doesn't ZIP means that the files are each compressed individually? Then only with large text files there is probably a use for ZSTD/LZMA.
      Yes, ZIP compresses files individually.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by LightBit View Post
        Yes, ZIP compresses files individually.
        and contains a directory at the end of the file, making file-level random access possible.

        Comment


        • #5
          I wish something like ZIP existed for Linux... (and Unix in general)
          Currently we have tar, but is often paired with some compression algorithm, which makes the format linear (have to read the whole archive to read just one file).
          It was its intended use back then (tape archive), but tell me. Who uses tapes for backup that often?

          The only ZIP equivalents I found are:
          - SquashFS: sadly, I don't think it supports in-place editing of an archive, and mostly used as a file system
          - DAR: sadly, mostly unheard of

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            I wish something like ZIP existed for Linux... (and Unix in general)
            Currently we have tar, but is often paired with some compression algorithm, which makes the format linear (have to read the whole archive to read just one file).
            It was its intended use back then (tape archive), but tell me. Who uses tapes for backup that often?

            The only ZIP equivalents I found are:
            - SquashFS: sadly, I don't think it supports in-place editing of an archive, and mostly used as a file system
            - DAR: sadly, mostly unheard of
            ZIP is completely usable on Linux/Unices and has been for a while.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
              and contains a directory at the end of the file, making file-level random access possible.
              I guess you're joking? Zip is also horrible for streaming access. Have to wait until the end of the file to do anything. People should just let this bastard format die. Is there some company still developing Zip?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Jaxad0127 View Post

                ZIP is completely usable on Linux/Unices and has been for a while.
                Yep, but then you lose Unix-style permissions, user and group IDs, and attributes/ACLs because it's a DOS/Windows-centric format.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

                  Yep, but then you lose Unix-style permissions, user and group IDs, and attributes/ACLs because it's a DOS/Windows-centric format.
                  This isn't accurate. You need to pass paramaters to unzip (-X, -K) however when extracting them. Even when using more commonly used formats in Linux, you do often have to account for permissions with parameters (ex: --selinux when using tar)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by caligula View Post

                    I guess you're joking? Zip is also horrible for streaming access. Have to wait until the end of the file to do anything. People should just let this bastard format die. Is there some company still developing Zip?
                    Yes. The latest spec from pkware is from 2020 and is available at https://pkware.cachefly.net/webdocs/...es/APPNOTE.TXT and there are multiple active implementations in Linux.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X