No announcement yet.

New Linux Patch To Allow Booting From Arbitrary Non-Block Device File-Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Linux Patch To Allow Booting From Arbitrary Non-Block Device File-Systems

Phoronix: New Linux Patch To Allow Booting From Arbitrary Non-Block Device File-Systems

The Linux kernel currently has code to allow booting an initial root file-system via NFS or CIFS for non-blockdevice file-systems while a new patch aims to allow for mounting of arbitrary non-block device file-systems as root...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...D-File-Systems

it would be interesting if this includes also fuse based file systems (like having fuse and the mount command for that fs in initrd and then just mount that as /)

Comment

Does this mean that any folder from any filesystem will be usable in the same way as booting on btrfs subvolumes ?

That's good!

Comment

I don't think it adds anything new for FUSE. That needs a userspace binary, which generally means an initramfs, and they can already chroot into FUSE-based filesystems.

I doubt it means you can just boot into a folder either. You'd still need to mount the filesystem that folder belongs to.

It probably only makes sense when combined with network-based filesystems. VirtIO-FS technically isn't one but it's similar.

Comment

What's the point? These things are normally done via initramfs anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post
            What's the point? These things are normally done via initramfs anyway.
            I agree. However I have to point out that sometime writing few lines of kernel code is simpler than build an initramfs image. I am not suggesting to do that, but depending by the skill of the person hacking the kernel is more "programmer friendly" than a updating a bash script which builds the initramfs image.

Finally I bet 2ยข that the kernel patch is smaller than any other initramfs patch....

Comment

Am I correct that this is stage 2 of a PXE boot but with out the DHCP server?

Comment

Working...
              X