Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Good But Maybe Bad: LVFS Skyrockets With More Than 100k Firmware Updates In One Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't get the embargo point. Can somebody explain?

Comment

Originally posted by darinmiller View Post
      Sounds like a Chromebook issue.
      ChromeOS does not use the public LVFS, so this is just Linux users.

Comment

Originally posted by smirky View Post
        I didn't get the embargo point. Can somebody explain?
        He was probably told who it is from and what the new firmware is, but he's not allowed to publicly share until the company makes an official announcement.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          A copy of everything gets vetted through a network of Chinese AI servers before you actually use it. It's for your own good.
          Pretty close. It's CCP key escrow for encrypted drives. Want to run a hardware encrypted HDD in China? You can! But the CCP gets a copy of the key. As you said, "it's for your own good"...

Edit: ... unless it's the hard drives in the Wuhan lab, then they didn't see anything, don't know anything, you can't prove anything, and the security cameras were "not working" that day.
          Last edited by torsionbar28; 17 June 2021, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
            Big Vendor like Lenovo finally starting to distribute via LVFS? Proper Samsung/intel NVME Support? Can anyone give some speculations which might be more reliable then mine?

edit: according to their logs some https://fwupd.org/lvfs/firmware/new

New Dell, New Lenovo firmware within this timeframe. Also Raptor stuff

...btw what the hell is China HDD Protection System (DELL) - Chinas HDD Trojan Engine...?
            I've gotten updates through fwupd for my Lenovo Thinkpad, Samsung NVME and Logitech Unified Driver. Pretty neat that Linux handles firmware updates better now than Windows ever has.

Comment

Originally posted by leech View Post

I've gotten updates through fwupd for my Lenovo Thinkpad, Samsung NVME and Logitech Unified Driver. Pretty neat that Linux handles firmware updates better now than Windows ever has.
              Yes my work laptop is dell - it also flashes the dockingstation. I wish ASUS etc would provide their BIOS through this as well. I really started to hate booting into the BIOS and do the "easy flash fancy software ...crappy mouse control" procedure.

Comment

I cannot update the firmware of some devices stated as available because of this impediment: WARNING: UEFI capsule updates not available or enabled.

Comment

Not citations, No sources, People saying bs in this thread.

Go touch grass and stop talking nonsense without foundation

Comment

Originally posted by leech View Post

Yeah sure, unless you own an Acer. Then you're screwed. Sure my next laptop is NOT an Acer and not NVidia. AMD Threadripper.

Comment

Yet another Intel CPU security issue.

Comment

Working...
                      X