Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The "Memory Folios" Work Continues - Improving Linux Performance, 7% Faster Kernel Builds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Memory Folios" Work Continues - Improving Linux Performance, 7% Faster Kernel Builds

Phoronix: The "Memory Folios" Work Continues - Improving Linux Performance, 7% Faster Kernel Builds

Matthew Wilcox of Oracle today sent out his latest patch series implementing the new "memory folios" type for the Linux kernel in an effort to improve Linux memory management and allow for better efficiency that ultimately translates into measurable performance gains...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Interesting and impressive work. Of course looking forward to many more patchsets, with this maybe landing next year.

Why does this require separate patches to XFS, and why has this only been done for XFS? From the patches this seems to touch just the kernels memory management side, do filesystems really need separate logic for new MM paths?

Comment

Memory Folios.....THP....struct folio

I am the Great Cornholio. I need TP for my bunghole.

Yeah, this is one of those articles that's just a little above me. Somewhere around the middle it turns into "Well, at least those are words in English".

Comment

Originally posted by nsneck View Post
        Interesting and impressive work. Of course looking forward to many more patchsets, with this maybe landing next year.

Why does this require separate patches to XFS, and why has this only been done for XFS? From the patches this seems to touch just the kernels memory management side, do filesystems really need separate logic for new MM paths?
        I would suggest that is more that any kernel work needs a user (i.e. not adding new things without having something use it). If they can make XFS (which I am guessing is their default FS) faster, then that's a double win

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Yeah, this is one of those articles that's just a little above me. Somewhere around the middle it turns into "Well, at least those are words in English".
          Don't worry, the author was clearly struggling too

Comment

Originally posted by nsneck View Post

Filesystems are tightly integrated into the workings of the page cache, so yes, there is a close coupling between filesystems and the MM code. I haven't looked at the code, but I would guess that the XFS changes amount to working with 'folios' instead of individual pages. As for why XFS in particular, I guess that's just the fs the developer is most familiar with. It doesn't make sense to convert every filesystem yet before the core part is accepted upstream.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Hhhhehehehehh TP hehehe

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post

Don't worry, the author was clearly struggling too
                Here's a short and clear overview what it's about: https://lwn.net/Articles/849538/

Comment

btw...

Brilliant Guy: writing this great patchset on memory folios
                  Linux Geek Community: ....."bungholio....hehehehehhhee TP !"
                  Brilliant Guy: ....

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

Hhhhehehehehh TP hehehe
                    Oh, grow up.

Comment

Working...
                    X