Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AJenbo
    replied
    For DevilutionX I saw 0 difference when applying PGO so it's not always a given that it will help.

Leave a comment:

• CochainComplex
    replied
    cant wait. I love PGO

Leave a comment:

• CommunityMember
    replied
    Originally posted by dekernel View Post
    I am curious as to the full impact on performance. I can see where this could provide a big improvement for HPC type systems, but on a standard workstation, I am curious.
    As always, YMWV, but the usual answer is that PGO can make smaller improvements even in general purpose workloads (as even the general purpose workloads tend to be biased towards some type of work that may be able to be optimized), but not only certain classic HPC workloads, but certain cloud based service providers, may be able to significantly benefit when you look at the scale involved. So I would expect the usual suspects to move towards using this upstreamed capability rather than maintaining their own custom kernel patch set(s).

I wonder if some (especially enterprise targeted) distros will start to offer kernel streams optimized for certain types of workloads. Variants such as "container optimized", or "LAMP optimized" might make sense.

Leave a comment:

• dekernel
    replied
    After the update to track the kernel modules, I am curious as to the full impact on performance. I can see where this could provide a big improvement for HPC type systems, but on a standard workstation, I am curious. As an example, my workstation is running 2 VMs as well as the standard compliment of applications like email client and browser. If you look at the history of the CPU's, they don't tick much above 30% for short periods of time (typically when building in the VMs).

Leave a comment:

• Profile Guided Optimizations (PGO) Likely Coming To Linux 5.14 For Clang

Phoronix: Profile Guided Optimizations (PGO) Likely Coming To Linux 5.14 For Clang

Recently the mainline Linux kernel has seen a lot of improvements to its feature set when compiling it under LLVM's Clang rather than GCC as traditionally the only supported compiler. The most recent feature being brought to the Linux kernel when using Clang is finally allowing the use of compiler profile guided optimizations (PGO) for squeezing even greater performance out of the system by letting the compiler leverage the real-world profiles/metrics collected to make more informed code generation / optimization decisions...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X