Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GRUB 2.06 To Be Succeeded By... GRUB 2.11 Bootloader Next Year

Phoronix: GRUB 2.06 To Be Succeeded By... GRUB 2.11 Bootloader Next Year

Following this week's release of the big and long overdue GRUB 2.06 bootloader release, there is already development talk and action for the next release. Succeeding GRUB 2.0, GRUB 2.02, GRUB 2.04, and GRUB 2.06 is now going to be a bit of a version shakeup with GRUB 2.11 to be the next release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I stopped using GRUB some years ago and I couldn't be happier with rEFInd, but I'm glad it's still getting improvements.

Comment

GRUB is nothing you pay much attention to, as long as it works everyone is happy, same with the version as long as it's supported everyone is happy. But when consistency goes out of the window for a number (Zero) not being written is a nitpick that not only catches my interest, but it makes me think about something as boring as GRUB.

Comment

It seem Grub can hande all usercases, but for each particular usercase there is a better solution.

Comment

If they named it 2.10, they could say the numbers were octal..

Comment

The update brought to you by the GNOME Versioning Committee

Comment

they have now decided they don't like version numbers with leading zeros as some scripts are apparently still having problems dealing with them.
              What scripts? I couldn't find any note what those scripts are.

They could've make it just 2.8 or 2.10, not that big jump to 2.11.

Comment

I wish GRUB would provide an easy way to reboot into other installed operating systems so that we could do it from command line and Linux distros could use it for their restart menu.
                I know there's something already, but I couldn't manage to make it work and I guess distro developers didn't either.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                  I wish GRUB would provide an easy way to reboot into other installed operating systems so that we could do it from command line and Linux distros could use it for their restart menu.
                  I know there's something already, but I couldn't manage to make it work and I guess distro developers didn't either.
                  You can do that without using/touching grub. EFI supports such option directly: efibootmgr --bootnext as I remeber right

Comment

As lotteries are tax on people bad at math, GRUB is tax on people bad at UEFI... Or with computers with a broken implementation of it.

Comment

Working...
                    X