Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.13-rc2 Released With A VGA Text Mode Fix

Phoronix: Linux 5.13-rc2 Released With A VGA Text Mode Fix

The second weekly release candidate is now available for Linux 5.13...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Remember a collective sigh of pain and resentment when scrolling in text mode was removed almost a year ago? You'd think someone would step up and add the feature back. Nope, nothing.

Considering the phoronix website outreach and popularity, maybe Michael could create a sort of fund (patreon or simply a paypal account) to finance the restoration of a highly sought after feature. Just saying.

I'm not a C programmer to do it myself.
    Last edited by birdie; 16 May 2021, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Things look pretty normal...tends to be fairly quiet...Nothing particularly stands out...
      That's also what they say about serial killers.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

That's also what they say about serial killers.
        How ironic would it be if the release that was a VGA restorer was a Serial killer :P

Comment

Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post

How ironic would it be if the release that was a VGA restorer was a Serial killer :P
          And if the code was developed on top of reiserfs ...

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Is there any plans for the Linux console?
            Are they removing it, are they moving it to userspace, are using Wayland for it, are they making it hardware accelerated?
            Is scrolling forever gone?

We want a Linux console that gives us 4K screen resolution and 24-bit true color.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
              Remember a collective sigh of pain and resentment when scrolling in text mode was removed almost a year ago? You'd think someone would step up and add the feature back. Nope, nothing.

Considering the phoronix website outreach and popularity, maybe Michael could create a sort of fund (patreon or simply a paypal account) to finance the restoration of a highly sought after feature. Just saying.

I'm not a C programmer to do it myself.
              I could start a $200,000 GoFundMe. That's enough to go back to school to learn C, not have to work, cover all my bills, get a new vehicle, do some house repairs, and buy some dev hardware.

But thinking along those lines -- It'd be cool if there was an Outreachy like program that wasn't based in bias and racism; where the only requirement is a love of FOSS, not being the right kind of different. They say that Linus apparently has millions in his bank account so he could initially bankroll a GPL Developer Training Program or a Linux Technical School where we'd learn Linux, C, Bash, etc. Bill Gates is going through a divorce so maybe we could talk him into spending some midlife crisis money. Does a person really need History 101 when all they want to learn is enough to fix GNOME? Based on the mailing list we don't even need remedial English so it could just focus on the fundamentals.

We could start a $20,000,000 GoFundMe for Penguin Technical School. Sorry for stealing your acronym, Michael.

Comment

Time to start using two computers instead of just one computer, the second computer connected via RS-232 serial port for viewing kernel boot/logging.

Or, we could create a new kernel feature/driver, taking screenshots within memory of what the VGA logging output would apparently look like, and print those screenshots to the display device. Of course, after editing and adding a mess of pretty flowers and other graphical eye-candy effects. I think a lot of click & play users would thoroughly enjoy this, and we'll make it co-exist nicely with their systemd! (I'm thinking, incorporate a nice little blackhole for sucking in systemd.)

Comment

Working...
                X