PowerPC Pull Brings 32-Bit Improvements For Linux 5.13 - eBPF + KFENCE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PowerPC Pull Brings 32-Bit Improvements For Linux 5.13 - eBPF + KFENCE

Phoronix: PowerPC Pull Brings 32-Bit Improvements For Linux 5.13 - eBPF + KFENCE

The PowerPC architecture pull request for the Linux 5.13 cycle brings some improvements to its 32-bit support and other enhancements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm actually surprised that the PowerPC world even worries about 32 bit support. Mainly this is due to the markets where Power PC Linux seems to be centered. Maybe I'm wrong but I'm thinking PPC is a big systems solution.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
      I'm actually surprised that the PowerPC world even worries about 32 bit support. Mainly this is due to the markets where Power PC Linux seems to be centered. Maybe I'm wrong but I'm thinking PPC is a big systems solution.
      PPC used to be big in embedded, before the ARM juggernaut steamrolled everything. Particularly aerospace and automotive were IIRC big PPC users. Don't know to which extent they used Linux, though.

Comment

Plenty of Mac G3 and G4 (32 bit) and G5 (64 bit but can use 32 bit user land) still around from before Apple transitioned to Intel.

Comment

And there are even some Routers which are using PPC. TP-Link WDR 4900 comes to mind. Or Mikrotik RouterBOARD 600 . In this range, MIPS CPUs are even more widespread than ARM - probably because of the license fees.

Comment

There's still a lot of embedded PPC volume, both in networking (e300/e500/e5500/e6500) and in automotive (e200, which I have never seen running Linux.) The e200's, e300's, and e500's are 32-bit. e300/e500 has mostly been replaced with 64-bit cores in new designs (e5500 at the low end, e6500 at the high end) but the installed base is still significant and I would not be shocked if NXP still moves millions of e300 and e500 cores per year to customers who are still making older board designs.
            Last edited by Dawn; 09 May 2021, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AlDunsmuir View Post

Plenty of Mac G3 and G4 (32 bit) and G5 (64 bit but can use 32 bit user land) still around from before Apple transitioned to Intel.
              Nintendo GameCube and Wii (and Wii U)
              PlayStation 3
              Xbox 360

Most of the 7th generation video game consoles are POWER-based...

Comment

Working...
              X