GNUstep Releases Early Wayland Support, Many Other Improvements Too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNUstep Releases Early Wayland Support, Many Other Improvements Too

Phoronix: GNUstep Releases Early Wayland Support, Many Other Improvements Too

GNUstep as the free software / GNU implementation of the Apple's Cocoa Opjective-C frameworks is out with a new version...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo...

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: GNUstep Releases Early Wayland Support, Many Other Improvements Too

GNUstep as the free software / GNU implementation of the Apple's Cocoa Opjective-C frameworks is out with a new version...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...9-With-Wayland

Comment

Honestly I wonder why people even bothered back then, nextstep was not that interesting, OSX even less due to its weird mix-in of classic mac os GUI technology.

Comment

But it is still super ugly though?
        They should make a theme that looks like new macOS.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
          Honestly I wonder why people even bothered back then, nextstep was not that interesting, OSX even less due to its weird mix-in of classic mac os GUI technology.
          People have always been obsessed with Apple / NeXT stuff. I do even recall people saying that CDE was ugly and that NeXTStep looked "so modern" (Again, slightly brainwashed). So naturally people copied and made their little themes like they do now.

Forward on many years later and people are still making little themes to clone macOS which I still find an ugly and dated looking consumer environment.

20 years from now, people will be looking back and wondering why macOS was being cloned. Well, the answer kind of is "Apple's marketing told them it looked good".

Comment

My bet is that after investing a lot of time on something, it becomes really painful to change route, as so, people keep insisting, even when they know that will be no real reward.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

People have always been obsessed with Apple / NeXT stuff. I do even recall people saying that CDE was ugly and that NeXTStep looked "so modern" (Again, slightly brainwashed). So naturally people copied and made their little themes like they do now.

Forward on many years later and people are still making little themes to clone macOS which I still find an ugly and dated looking consumer environment.

20 years from now, people will be looking back and wondering why macOS was being cloned. Well, the answer kind of is "Apple's marketing told them it looked good".
              Point is, no amount of apple marketing can make even the medically blind and brainwashed believe CDE is "so modern". CDE sucked then as much as it sucks now, the only difference being 20 years in between.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

I disagree somewhat. I think OS X and macOS is pretty. I just don't think it's the drop your jaw, turn your head and stare, stars in your eyes, love at first sight gorgeous that Apple fanatics believe it to be.

I think some of the Linux desktops look just as good. I think Windows 10 looks almost as good.

Comment

I figured I'd add my couple pennies into this one. At my day job, I deal with Windows 10 and macOS quite a bit. I'll start with some thoughts on each:

* Windows 10: I actually think it looks nice. The fonts are good. I like default Windows window management. I can flow quite well with it. I do not like the telemetry and increasing integration with online feeds (e.g news and sports tiles would one, though the enterprise version we use at work has increasing not included these with the start menu with each release.) But I can get stuff down with it for what I need to do.

* macOS: I think the aesthetics of macOS as of 10.10, which was a big makeover from 10.9 and previous, is pretty nice. Fonts are good. I can work with a proper unix-like operating system. Homebrew package management seems to work well. In regards to window management, I don't like it on macOS (installing Rectangle App does help.) Also, I don't like Finder as much as Windows File Explorer. I don't know about Apple and privacy, but they claim to respect it. But I don't know.

With Linux, we of course have lots of choices. I am not a fan of fonts and icons for the default out of the box Gnome experience. There are other things about it that feel a lot less polished. That said, I really don't need Gnome for the work I do with Linux. I am looking for something cleaner and simpler, I don't need the full DE experience. I can fine tune what fonts I want to use, etc. in this simpler environment (a nice, simple, Wayland shell of some sorts.) Of course, sometimes a person can fiddle forever and never get any actual work done! But that is on me ;

Anyway, my two cents on the matter.

Comment

NeXTSTEP was far more polished and end-user friendly than any other commercial UNIX variant at the time, with the possible exceptions of A/UX and IRIX. Put NeXTSTEP's UI up against CDE, Panorama, or Looking Glass and you can see why it was so much better.

Comment

Working...
                    X