A Fresh Take On Speculative Page Faulting Aims For The Mainline Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Fresh Take On Speculative Page Faulting Aims For The Mainline Kernel

Phoronix: A Fresh Take On Speculative Page Faulting Aims For The Mainline Kernel

Over the years there have been a number of rounds of patches published for speculative page faulting. The goal has been to support user-space page-faults without holding the memory management semaphores and to ultimately allow for better performance especially with threaded workloads. A fresh take on the speculative page faulting (SPF) functionality was recently volleyed on the kernel mailing list...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've just tried his 5.12.0-sfp github branch but compilation with Clang fails with:

mm/memory.c:3724:3: error: implicit declaration of function 'lru_cache_add_inactive_or_unevictable' [-Werror,-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
    lru_cache_add_inactive_or_unevictable(page, vma);
    ^

[edit:] Hm, that was with the Multigenerational-LRU-patchset on top of that, without it I cannot reproduce the issue.
    Last edited by ms178; 04 May 2021, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Some observations after trying it out for a day. The patchset unfortunately won't apply cleanly on the latest Xanmod sources (as that also contains the Multigenerational-LRU-patches which don't go together well with these patches). I'd recommend to try the 5.12.0-spf-anon branch, the lesser tested spf-branch cased sound issues for me. I very like that my programs start faster, the first Chrome load after a reboot is cut in half on my SSHD-RAID-0-array. Also my Steam games launched faster, hence I very much welcome the results for normal desktop usage (my desktop is already latency-optimized, but the improvement is still noticeable).

Comment

Working...
      X