Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.13 To Allow Zstd Compressed Modules, Zstd Update Pending With Faster Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.13 To Allow Zstd Compressed Modules, Zstd Update Pending With Faster Performance

Phoronix: Linux 5.13 To Allow Zstd Compressed Modules, Zstd Update Pending With Faster Performance

Adding to the variety of places where the Linux kernel supports making use of Zstd compression, kernel modules moving forward can now enjoy size reductions with Zstd...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Zstd is becoming more interesting these days. I hope some crazy geniuses are able to optimize it even more than currently is.

Comment

Nice, great to see it used more.

Comment

Linux already supports optional Gzip and XZ compression of kernel modules
        only two
        is there any particular reason?

Comment

What is the situation of compression ratio? Is it yet maxed out or can we hope for an increased compression ratio yield in the future?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe2021 View Post
            What is the situation of compression ratio? Is it yet maxed out or can we hope for an increased compression ratio yield in the future?
            Zstd is actively developed by Facebook. I expect future updates to improve all metrics, including compression efficiency.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post

Zstd is actively developed by Facebook. I expect future updates to improve all metrics, including compression efficiency.
              I really doubt that but you seem to know better.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

I really doubt that but you seem to know better.
                Not with certainty, but if you've read the introduction of the newest patch set, it gives you an overview of the changes from the version used in the Kernel to the updated version and it shows significant improvements in the stated scenarios. It is an educated guess that similar improvements will materialize in future updates as well. Not necessarily specific to the compression ratio, but this could see further improvements, too.

What makes you so doubtful? It is an active project and the devs seem to improve upon all metrics each release.
                Last edited by ms178; 03 May 2021, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Do any distros actually make use of module compression? gz and xz have apprently been there a while, and at least ubuntu seems to ship them uncompressed (of course the .deb package itself is compressed, so this just wastes a bit of disk space).

Same for firmwares, FWIW.

Comment

Originally posted by jabl View Post
                    Do any distros actually make use of module compression? gz and xz have apprently been there a while, and at least ubuntu seems to ship them uncompressed (of course the .deb package itself is compressed, so this just wastes a bit of disk space).

Same for firmwares, FWIW.
                    Arch Linux uses xz compression of modules. You can see the list of files in the "linux" package here:

Where module files ends with ko.xz.

Comment

Working...
                    X