Sony Proposes A New Soft Watchdog For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trasz View Post

That's a curious thing to say, given that Sony's (FreeBSD derivative) console market share is 60%, while for Linux it's exactly 0% (https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market...ole/worldwide/).

Don't get me wrong, but... do you ever say anything that cannot be disproven by 30 seconds of googling?
    Too bad you can only dream about running Sony's games on your crippled FreeBSD. It's probably because Sony took few parts from *bsd and doesn't give a shit about such niche OS. I didn't even need a 30 seconds to realize such obvious thing.

Comment

Thank you for confirming once again that your knowledge of FreeBSD is even worse than your knowledge of Linux :->
      It seems you can't backup your claims. Wake me up when freebsd catches up in graphic stack and they achieve this on their own. Currently they're copying everything from Linux. They only have one modern file system 'stolen' from solaris (I know you were favoring it over Linux, but it's dead, what a pity :>), epoch introduced dozens of years after Linux' RCU etc. I also think it's time to make bsd desktop environment, because it's too much leeching on Linux already.

Comment

Originally posted by FellowPenguin View Post

Don't get me wrong, but since when FreeBSD can run PlayStation games?
        All Sony consoles run modified FreeBSD, same way Android phones run modified Linux. Just like you cannot run Android software on stock Linux, you cannot play Playstation games on stock FreeBSD, but it's not really relevant to this discussion: we're talking about market share.

Comment

Originally posted by FellowPenguin View Post

That's a curious thing to say, given that Android (Linux derivative) is the biggest gaming platform on the planet with a global market share of 40%, while for FreeBSD it's exactly 0% (https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/).
          That's a phone market share, not game console market share. And yes, on this market devices Linux shines. It's all dependent on a single company, which is already working on what seems to be replacement, but for now it's pretty safe there.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

It seems you can't backup your claims. Wake me up when freebsd catches up in graphic stack and they achieve this on their own. Currently they're copying everything from Linux. They only have one modern file system 'stolen' from solaris (I know you were favoring it over Linux, but it's dead, what a pity :>), epoch introduced dozens of years after Linux' RCU etc. I also think it's time to make bsd desktop environment, because it's too much leeching on Linux already.
            So, yeah, you also don't understand how Open Source works in general. Nothing wrong with that, everyone was a clueless newbie at some point :-)

Also, it's worth mentioning that despite not using RCU (which was patent-encumbered and thus couldn't be used by Open Source software, except where licensed by IBM), FreeBSD performance was generally close to that of Linux. Which suggests there's still a lot of room for improvement, as opposed to Linux, which is already as optimized as it can without some major (and thus unlikely) changes.
            Last edited by trasz; 26 April 2021, 04:38 AM.

Comment

1. we're talking about market share.
              2. you cannot run Android software on stock Linux
              1. Android is the biggest gaming platform on the planet by market share.

2. You can install Android on a bare metal x86 as your main OS and run any software on it, including games.

P.S. GPL software, like Linux, is better for end users because it prevents proprietary lock-ins like Sony PlayStation.
              Last edited by FellowPenguin; 26 April 2021, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Jesus christ, this forum is becoming unusable. It's almost as bad as Youtube-comments. "Xbox is better than Playstation, Linux is better than BSD, my license is better than your license, my Linux is better than your Linux, my window manager is better than your window manager". I feel like im surrounded by little kids fighting over pointless shit (real life and online).

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic

Michael Larrabel: I was considering to pay a premium subscription, but I'll never do it until you remove shitheads like this and a dozen more that should never post in your site. Please clean your cyber cyberhome first, IRA full of dirt right now to become useful in a meaningful way. I'm becoming ashamed of having an user account here and my feel is becoming worse. I'm questioning why even serious personalities such as Bridgman from AMD post here with this so low quality community.
                  You're not bringing the level of discourse up any, TBH. Your post is an extreme overreaction to the other person's post.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderbird32 View Post

You're not bringing the level of discourse up any, TBH. Your post is an extreme overreaction to the other person's post.
                    This community is too much permissive with trolls, it's too much time with lame controversies...

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

I've never encountered BSD in the financial sector nor among banks, but then I have not been everywhere. Never gotten a request for a BSD version of our software (we supply software and services for the finance industry) either even though I make sure to maintain them for BSD anyway (making sure that your software works perfectly across several systems helps lessen the number of hidden bugs).
                      A lot of the traditional finance sector uses Unix machines or their variants still, especially for mainframes.

Comment

Working...
                      X