No announcement yet.

Sony Proposes A New Soft Watchdog For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting that Sony would propose something like this. I thought they were using BSD rather than Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

I've never encountered BSD in the financial sector nor among banks, but then I have not been everywhere. Never gotten a request for a BSD version of our software (we supply software and services for the finance industry) either even though I make sure to maintain them for BSD anyway (making sure that your software works perfectly across several systems helps lessen the number of hidden bugs).
      Depends on the arena I'm sure. There's a lot of BSD software behind the scenes never updated from the proprietary Unix days. There's more to BSD than Free/Open/NetBSD. Even typical Linux distros have plenty of BSD licensed software included. Kinda like Linux being everywhere behind the scenes, BSD licensed software is everywhere, too. Windows and MacOS (which would also include iOS) have code from various BSD licensed projects included in them, so I'd say BSD software (both licensed and original attribution) is probably in more places than even Linux is.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

Depends on the arena I'm sure. There's a lot of BSD software behind the scenes never updated from the proprietary Unix days. There's more to BSD than Free/Open/NetBSD. Even typical Linux distros have plenty of BSD licensed software included. Kinda like Linux being everywhere behind the scenes, BSD licensed software is everywhere, too. Windows and MacOS (which would also include iOS) have code from various BSD licensed projects included in them, so I'd say BSD software (both licensed and original attribution) is probably in more places than even Linux is.
        Well if you frame it that way, then yes of course, since every single OS out there are using BSD sockets then every single machine is "running BSD".

Comment

This soft watchdog can also work standalone to take action itself in out-of-memory situations to kill processes.
          Isn't that what OOMD which is already running on my system does?

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
            #1 I'm for this in principle. Of course the devil is in the details.

#2 Bag off with your BSD bigotry. I'll take BSD and their more sane, less fragmented, more permissive style of development than MacOS or Windows any day. Just because they don't fellate Linus or Stallman is ok by me. Most of your banking, video streaming and gaming is because of BSD. They're the rightful heirs of Unix. I'm glad to have them around for friendly competition and the sharing of good engineering principles with Linux. And if I were running my own company you better believe that although I would run my front office and DevOps on Ubuntu, I'd run my servers on BSD.
            Most of the servers and services run on Linux (and Windows in big part), so your bsd fanboism has no place in reality. They're niche and bsd only exists thanks to 'stolen' ZFS. That's all. BSD in banking? Good joke!
            Last edited by Volta; 24 April 2021, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
              Interesting that Sony would propose something like this. I thought they were using BSD rather than Linux.
              It seems they realized there's no future with bsd and they don't want to waste resources on keeping it up to date with modern standards and stacks.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                They are BSD parasites, I wonder what they want. They are losing Android marketshare.
                They're not parasites. Don't you know bsd only exists to serve? If someone have something against using it with the spirit of its servant license then blame the license.
                Last edited by Volta; 24 April 2021, 03:30 PM.

Comment

I can understand Linux fanboys, it's kind of sad that all attempts at building Linux gaming console failed.

Comment

#1 This patch is from sony mobile, not SCE.
                    #2 Anyone who talks about SCE being a big player in BSD has no idea what they're talking about. The average game developer never touches the BSD APIs on Playstation. Sone likewise never upstreams anything that isn't strict kernel security
                    #3 (Free)BSD while being impressive in how it's managing to stay alive give how little backing it has, is years behind in both hardware and software support. Only in FBSD13 did they implement Intels HWP (aka speedshift aka let's not control the CPU speed via ACPI). Take a look at pfsense/opnsense hardware recomendation - their routing/firewalling is strictly single-thread. Linux now runs circles around BSD in networking performance, and that's just one example.
                    #4 The biggest commercial player in FreeBSD is Netflix, iX and Netgate being a distant second

Comment

OOM is a singular example of something it can do, Interesting, seeing lots of people say its from sony mobile, Wonder what they want it for though?

Comment

Working...
                      X