Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sony Proposes A New Soft Watchdog For Linux

Phoronix: Sony Proposes A New Soft Watchdog For Linux

Sony Linux engineer Peter Enderborg has proposed a soft watchdog for the Linux kernel to carry out pre-defined tasks in certain situations but not being like hardware watchdogs that would reboot the system if a problem crops up...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Apparently Sony is going to be doing a store like what everyone else is doing on PC.
    I wonder if they will release it for Linux with some linux games or even translation layer (proton) like ones.
    The reason is they want to compete with MS Store gamepass thing or something....

Comment

At first I tought they were proposing a rootkit watchdog.

They are BSD parasites, I wonder what they want. They are losing Android marketshare.

A store? I tought about cloud gaming services.

Comment

It must be Groundhog Day in Japan. Except it's always a long winter.

Comment

#1 I'm for this in principle. Of course the devil is in the details.

#2 Bag off with your BSD bigotry. I'll take BSD and their more sane, less fragmented, more permissive style of development than MacOS or Windows any day. Just because they don't fellate Linus or Stallman is ok by me. Most of your banking, video streaming and gaming is because of BSD. They're the rightful heirs of Unix. I'm glad to have them around for friendly competition and the sharing of good engineering principles with Linux. And if I were running my own company you better believe that although I would run my front office and DevOps on Ubuntu, I'd run my servers on BSD.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
            Apparently Sony is going to be doing a store like what everyone else is doing on PC.
            I wonder if they will release it for Linux with some linux games or even translation layer (proton) like ones.
            The reason is they want to compete with MS Store gamepass thing or something....
            Android has it's lowmemorykiller (lmkd), desktops has earlyoom.
            Due to the message specifically mentioning desktops my initial assumption would be them doing it for server-side uses like game streaming, multiplayer servers, and infrastructure like hosting saves and other player data. That said, the PS uses a modified BSD based OS based around AMDGPU and Zen. It's not too much of a stretch to think that they'll consider Desktop Linux as a platform if Sony wants an app store and the PSN is expanded from just PlayStations. Everything to get their 4 & 5 games running everywhere should be more in place for Linux than they are for Windows since Linux and BSD share a lot of the same bits and pieces in regards to 3d gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
              Most of your banking, video streaming and gaming is because of BSD.
              LOL you're just making things up now.

Comment

Originally posted by Rallos Zek View Post

LOL you're just making things up now.
                He's not that wrong. While most might be an exaggeration, Netflix and Sony are pretty big players, possibly the biggest ones, in the video streaming and gaming markets and they're both invested in BSD and its success. I have no clue about the financial sector so no comment there.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

He's not that wrong. While most might be an exaggeration, Netflix and Sony are pretty big players, possibly the biggest ones, in the video streaming and gaming markets and they're both invested in BSD and its success. I have no clue about the financial sector so no comment there.
                  I've never encountered BSD in the financial sector nor among banks, but then I have not been everywhere. Never gotten a request for a BSD version of our software (we supply software and services for the finance industry) either even though I make sure to maintain them for BSD anyway (making sure that your software works perfectly across several systems helps lessen the number of hidden bugs).

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                    The patch is from Sony Mobile so this have most likely zero to do with Sony:s gaming division.

Comment

Working...
                    X