Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Adding Azure "MANA" Driver To Linux

Phoronix: Microsoft Adding Azure "MANA" Driver To Linux

Microsoft is preparing the Linux kernel for some yet-to-debut Azure network functionality...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

is the first Microsoft network device driver to go into the mainline kernel.
    Uh, the existing Hyper-V network driver (hv_netvsc) was written by Microsoft and has been in the kernel for 12 years.

Comment

Originally posted by nuxi View Post

Uh, the existing Hyper-V network driver (hv_netvsc) was written by Microsoft and has been in the kernel for 12 years.
      Maybe he means the first network driver for a real physical network adapter made by Microsoft.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Maybe he means the first network driver for a real physical network adapter made by Microsoft.
        I... doubt that it is. My guess is that it's some sort of virtual cloud interface you can pipe to an on-prem location via a tunnel. That way you can have cloud machines that behave like they're on your network. It's just a wild guess, though.

Comment

Microsoft want their virtual devices in our kernel?

I say don't merge it until Microsoft add the VFIO driver set to the Windows plug and play database by default, would make working with ovirt/redhat virtualisation so much easier for Windows workloads

Comment

Originally posted by Grim85 View Post
            Microsoft want their virtual devices in our kernel?

I say don't merge it until Microsoft add the VFIO driver set to the Windows plug and play database by default, would make working with ovirt/redhat virtualisation so much easier for Windows workloads
            I fall to see how the two issues are related

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

I fall to see how the two issues are related
              Microsoft wants their driver in Linux for running on their Virtualisation platform
              Doesn't have the virtual drivers in Windows for running on Linux virtualisation platform
              Last edited by Grim85; 20 April 2021, 01:05 AM. Reason: a letter

Comment

Microsoft wants their driver in Linux for running on their Virtualisation platform
                Doesn't have the virtual drivers in Windows for running on Linux virtualisation platform
                Adding a driver to Linux is a net benefit for Linux, it should never be discouraged.
                As for VirtIO drivers in Windows, well... how many people actually use KVM to run Windows guests (in any way that actually matters, i.e. not at home)?

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                  As for VirtIO drivers in Windows, well... how many people actually use KVM to run Windows guests (in any way that actually matters, i.e. not at home)?
                  Anyone running Red Hat Virtualization (or Ovirt) in corporate production. I have 30 odd Windows servers in our Red Hat hypervisor

Perhaps people with Proxmox in production as well (am aware of small businesses using this)

Comment

Microsoft did the work to get their kernel patches included. RedHat, VMware, et al do their work to get their drivers published in the Windows ecosystem. Nobody is playing dirty or stonewalling anyone. Microsoft provides a process, and depending on how much of it the vendor chooses to complete, the end-user experience is hard, simple, or automatic; it's not Microsoft's job to go out and pick third-party drivers, just like it's not the Kernel developers' job to write and PR the Hyper-V drivers.

This section enables you to create and manage your system and driver submissions quickly and easily.

There's no actual OS war between Windows and Linux anymore, only a weird human tendency for us to 'side' with one thing 'against' another.

Comment

Working...
                    X