Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Features Expected For Linux 5.13 From Apple M1 To FreeSync HDMI To AMD Aldebaran

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Features Expected For Linux 5.13 From Apple M1 To FreeSync HDMI To AMD Aldebaran

Phoronix: Features Expected For Linux 5.13 From Apple M1 To FreeSync HDMI To AMD Aldebaran

If all goes well Linux 5.12 will be released tomorrow and in turn will kick off the Linux 5.13 merge window (otherwise 5.12-rc8 will be issued and the stable then a week later). In any case once the Linux 5.13 merge window does open there are a lot of prominent changes expected...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm very excited for 5.13. It's a pretty significant update for a desktop system; lots-o-goodies in there for us

Also: Heh, heh, you said thrust master.

Comment

All I want at this point is for resume from suspend to work, in my case with AMD GPUs. Resume hasn't worked reliably for so many years now that I can't even remember the number. And yet Linux developers continue to completely ignore this longstanding problem.

Comment

Maybe I'm a little rusty, but I thought they were trying to land support for some new language next cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief
          All I want at this point is for resume from suspend to work, in my case with AMD GPUs. Resume hasn't worked reliably for so many years now that I can't even remember the number. And yet Linux developers continue to completely ignore this longstanding problem.
          It works perfectly on my desktop, but I am using a Radeon 6800 series card, so it may be an issue for older gpus.

Comment

Originally posted by cynical View Post

It works perfectly on my desktop, but I am using a Radeon 6800 series card, so it may be an issue for older gpus.
            The issue is not with the desktops but with the laptops. Firstly majority of AMD laptop vendors removed S3 suspend in favor of s2idle modern standby. S3 works(not many AMD laptops support it), but with modern standby laptop pretends that it is suspended but big part of GPU continue eating battery like mad - 4-5 watts. For desktop it is nothing - you will not notice it, 4 watts desktop will be cool and quiet. But for laptop your battery will be gone in 5-10 hrs. So AMD issued the patch that stops the GPU completely and it does not eat battery when suspended - but in this case it does not wake up. So some kernels do not sleep , some do not wake up - depending on the patchsets in AMD GPU driver. There is some work and activity around this bug for more than half a year - but as I see it is not yet fixed. I got rid of my AMD laptop because of that and use Tigerlake now.

Comment

Originally posted by asriel View Post

The issue is not with the desktops but with the laptops. Firstly majority of AMD laptop vendors removed S3 suspend in favor of s2idle modern standby. S3 works(not many AMD laptops support it), but with modern standby laptop pretends that it is suspended but big part of GPU continue eating battery like mad - 4-5 watts.
              That's weird. I've been using laptops with Intel for a while and s2idle is great with them. I wonder why the AMD GPU keeps running? And I wonder if it has anything to do with PCIe power control. For s2idle to work properly it is absolutely essential that the PCIe ASPM is enabled and set to powersave.

Comment

Originally posted by cynical View Post

That was the excuse when I had my old R9 390 installed. But now I have two RX 580 GPUs, and no one says my GPU is too old any longer.

Comment

Any chance the new ntfs driver is going to make it for 5.13?

Comment

I've had a ongoing issue with my 6800xt causing the lower quarter of the screen to tear after resume, even resume from xscreensaver oddly enough. Never happened on previous cards or under windows.. No idea if that will be fixed. It is related to having freesync enabled however. (which has never been great under Linux to be honest)

Comment

Working...
                    X