Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Linux Kernel Continues Crafting A WWAN Subsystem

Phoronix: The Linux Kernel Continues Crafting A WWAN Subsystem

Linaro continues leading the effort on a Wireless WAN (WWAN) subsystem/framework for the Linux kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Among the protocols exposed to user-space with the driver are <...> FIREHOSE
    Now that's a name I haven't heard in a while.

Comment

I just worked on a setup that tried to use a Fibocom/Intel XM WWAN interface with Ubuntu and FreeBSD. What a PITA.

If they can get the Linux client support anything close (~90%) of Windows 10 then they will have something.

Comment

Most probably it's all just a wasted effort actually.
        Why?
        Too niche.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex/AT View Post
          Most probably it's all just a wasted effort actually.
          Why?
          Too niche.
          Yeah, just a few billion routers and smartphones with WWAN connectivity.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
            I just worked on a setup that tried to use a Fibocom/Intel XM WWAN interface with Ubuntu and FreeBSD. What a PITA.

If they can get the Linux client support anything close (~90%) of Windows 10 then they will have something.
            Intel WWAN is dead now, its remnants are owned by Apple.

For anything using a Qualcomm or Huawei chipset, WWAN support on Linux is so much better than on Windows. No crappy Vendor Tools, but nicely integrated with the rest of network management.

Comment

Working...
            X