Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.12-rc5 Released - It's Bigger Than Average

Phoronix: Linux 5.12-rc5 Released - It's Bigger Than Average

Today's release of Linux 5.12-rc5 is "bigger than average" for this stage of kernel development and if that keeps up is likely to result in an extra week's worth of testing / an -rc8 release ahead of Linux 5.12 final, but it's too early to call at this stage...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Linux 5.12-rc6 - That’s what she said

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
      Linux 5.12-rc6 - That’s what she said
      Na, it was definitely something he said

Comment

came to the comments to post "thats what she said" but some jerk already beat me to it

Comment

Comment

I'm really looking forward to this landing in my distro. Being able to switch between voluntary and full preemption at will will be extremely useful.

Comment

And is full of bugs after Linus' cutoff

Comment

Originally posted by StarterX4 View Post
                And is full of bugs after Linus' cutoff
                I doubt he's cutoff. There were some nice rants if this is what you mean.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post

Na, it was definitely something he said
                  Hahah, no think about it... she's the one that's probably seen many, so she'd know what'd be considered average. If he knew, he'd be gay. (Not that there's anything wrong with that).

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                    I'm really looking forward to this landing in my distro. Being able to switch between voluntary and full preemption at will will be extremely useful.
                    That's the spirit!
                    I mean seriously, why would anyone on a desktop system use anything other than full-preemption? (»uname -a« should show "PREEMPT")

That being said, first make sure that your distro of choice really does allow you to switch the preemption model without introducing any significant overhead by making sure the following option in your kernel config is actually enabled:
                    Code:
                    zcat /proc/config.gz | grep HAVE_STATIC_CALL_INLINE
                    Else start buggering them already!

For anyone on openSUSE Tumbleweed (like me): Y'all are already covered!

Comment

Working...
                    X