No announcement yet.

The Linux Kernel Might Finally See Proper Support For The Apple Magic Mouse 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The comments are surprising. On my today's usage this mouse wouldn't be useful, while i'm using a tiling manager and trying to do my best to forget the mouse.

But when I was using MacOS at work, this mouse was surprisingly great, and I'm sure it would have the same usage on a Gnome install. Going from a workspace to another with this mouse, getting app launcher, zooming, and other things like this was pretty good IMO. And we have the 2 "buttons" easily accessible, and the wheel on the entire mouse surface. I don't understand critics about the hardware (Apple is one thing, the hardware is another). And obviously, this is NOT a gaming mouse ;-)

I'd would love to see the same patches for their trackpad, with a tiling wm, way better than a mouse IMO (for web browsing mainly, and some apps too). On my last check, this wasn't supported fully.

Comment

These mice are absolute garbage, they reliably cause repetitive strain injuries; they track adequately on surfaces designed for mice, and poorly on anything else... however if it's all you've got, it's nice to have a driver so you can click the required buttons on amazon.com to purchase a functioning mouse.

If the thing were shaped a little bit more appropriately for the human hand, the touch gesture capability would be nice, but this mouse will cost you hundreds or thousands of dollars in physiotherapy; it's just not worth it for some fun gestures.

The trackpad is a better bet for this, I'm not sure how good the Magic Trackpad drivers are, if those are good I would suggest that as a way to try the gestures; though it is very expensive, like their mediocre keyboard.
      Last edited by microcode; 28 March 2021, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
        Funny to me that anyone bothered to support this thing. Apple's mouse products have always been ergonomic disasters and uncomfortable to use, focusing more on the visual design of the thing than any practical usability aspect. Remember the circular hockey puck iMac mouse? Apple mouses are awful.
        Yeah, those things are just terrible. There was also this annoying bug with MacBooks, where if I left the Macbook in the office overnight, the mouse wouldn't reconnect to the laptop for some reason (also the MacOS Bluetooth settings can only be navigated with a mouse, so if you're on an iMac with no backup mouse you're screwed). I had to go unpair and repair the mouse before it would work again. So much easier to just use a normal non-Apple mouse. Got a Dell wired mouse later, which just worked without these kinds of idiotic problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Viki Ai View Post
          Form-over-function-and-damn-all-else at its most ... typically 21st century human!
          This statement applies to so many social and societal movements right now, it's ridiculous. Amplified by social media, it's toxic.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
            The trackpad is a better bet for this, I'm not sure how good the Magic Trackpad drivers are, if those are good I would suggest that as a way to try the gestures; though it is very expensive, like their mediocre keyboard.
            I just bought one as there was no single other external touchpad seemingly supported under Linux (without hardcoded gestures like the Jelly Comb or the Seenda).
            I'm happy to report that it works in Manjaro out of the box, for 3-4 finger gestures, either through USB (charging) and bluetooth.
            I read about it before and it settled my purchase (1st Apple product ever bought), so I knew it could work, yet expected some difficulty and tinkering. But it just worked when I plugged in or paired it.
            I tried it with my work laptop (Windows 10 forced) and only 1 finger is supported (=no scrolling and no right click). Linux wins, yet again.
            Last edited by Mez'; 20 April 2021, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X