Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Linux Kernel Might Finally See Proper Support For The Apple Magic Mouse 2

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Linux Kernel Might Finally See Proper Support For The Apple Magic Mouse 2

    Phoronix: The Linux Kernel Might Finally See Proper Support For The Apple Magic Mouse 2

    Standard mouse functionality of Apple's Magic Mouse 2 works currently under Linux but the "hid-magicmouse" mainline driver might finally be extended to fully support the Magic Mouse 2...

    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-Mouse-2-Linux

  • #2
    Funny to me that anyone bothered to support this thing. Apple's mouse products have always been ergonomic disasters and uncomfortable to use, focusing more on the visual design of the thing than any practical usability aspect. Remember the circular hockey puck iMac mouse? Apple mouses are awful.

    Comment


    • #3
      This mouse IMHO is completely unusable. First thing I did after getting my first Mac was purchasing external touchpad.

      Comment


      • #4
        I think it's a technical marvel for its support of gestures and possibly one of the worst mice ever from a usability standpoint

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
          Funny to me that anyone bothered to support this thing. Apple's mouse products have always been ergonomic disasters and uncomfortable to use, focusing more on the visual design of the thing than any practical usability aspect. Remember the circular hockey puck iMac mouse? Apple mouses are awful.
          Agreed. My hand is too big for the mouse that my fingers always are off it.
          I can't believe I bought this thing... I guess I wasted $120

          Comment


          • #6
            2 decades on, and Apple still can't produce an optical mouse that works on a generic white melamine surface (of the type that schools and offices the world over have surfacing all their desks). Even our Graphic Design school hates using the things, sending me out to the office supply shop to get a bunch of $5 PC mice to replace them with!

            Form-over-function-and-damn-all-else at its most ... typically 21st century human!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Viki Ai View Post
              2 decades on, and Apple still can't produce an optical mouse that works on a generic white melamine surface (of the type that schools and offices the world over have surfacing all their desks). Even our Graphic Design school hates using the things, sending me out to the office supply shop to get a bunch of $5 PC mice to replace them with!

              Form-over-function-and-damn-all-else at its most ... typically 21st century human!
              Ever since the iMac G3 mouse, nobody liked their mice. People liked that mouse for Street Hockey than any serious work.

              Comment


              • #8
                Yeah, the Magic Mouse is terrible. I have the 1st model with the AA batteries, arguably better than the MM2, but it's still a mess once the novelty of the touch surface wears off.

                The only competent Apple mouse I've used was the Mighty Mouse. It was comfy, the scroll ball was a great idea, terribly implemented. No simultaneous left and right click either, which is just daft. I wouldn't dream of buying a mouse from Apple unless they radically change their priorities.

                Still, I'm sure there are people who use them and having better support for it in Linux can only be a good thing.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by dammarin View Post
                  Yeah, the Magic Mouse is terrible. I have the 1st model with the AA batteries, arguably better than the MM2, but it's still a mess once the novelty of the touch surface wears off.

                  The only competent Apple mouse I've used was the Mighty Mouse. It was comfy, the scroll ball was a great idea, terribly implemented. No simultaneous left and right click either, which is just daft. I wouldn't dream of buying a mouse from Apple unless they radically change their priorities.

                  Still, I'm sure there are people who use them and having better support for it in Linux can only be a good thing.
                  During my school days, my friends and I called the MM a 'saggy breast with tiny nipple'.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    That thing looks like a baby scale.

                    But I assume that apple did not include a breast milk function.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X