Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gaaf
    replied
    There seems to be a problem with the 980's firmware reporting temperature spikes that aren't really there. Temperature 1 spikes regularly to exactly 83.8°C and drops just as fast after several seconds/minutes. This also causes the ssd to throttle the speed. There is no actual temperature increase (verified by touch) and no correlation between the spikes and disk usage. I already got an exchange (from Amazon, not Samsung and with newest firmware), but the new one does the same. Samsung has not confirmed any issue yet, even though more people have reported the issue: https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/...F/td-p/2002779

Do more people here experience this? Anyone found the cause and/or solution except from exchanging it for another brand?
    Samsung SSD 980 1TB Temperature 2022-04-05.png

Code:
    [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]# smartctl -a /dev/nvme0 | grep Temp                 [/COLOR]
    Warning  Comp. Temp. Threshold:     82 Celsius
    Critical Comp. Temp. Threshold:     85 Celsius
    Temperature:                        27 Celsius
    Warning  Comp. Temperature Time:    1127
    Critical Comp. Temperature Time:    0
    Temperature Sensor 1:               27 Celsius
    Temperature Sensor 2:               36 Celsius
    Thermal Temp. 2 Transition Count:   18853
    Thermal Temp. 2 Total Time:         70959[/FONT]

Leave a comment:

• advcha
    replied
    Hi. I have a MSI Z270 krait gaming with M2 connection gen 3 (PCI E 3.0 x 4). I read the review for samsung 980 and it's pretty good but some comments on this forum (I think most of them) had bad reviews about samsung 980. But nowadays Is it still good to use Samsung 980 (non pro) for ubuntu 20.04?

Leave a comment:

• nils_
    replied
    Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

Which one have you formated ? SN850ies or the 980 Pros?
    The SN850, the 980 Pro doesn't allow for 4 KiB sector size.

Leave a comment:

• CochainComplex
    replied
    Originally posted by nils_ View Post
    I just replaced two 980 PRO with SN850ies. I noticed the performance is a lot better when re-formatting with 4KiB sector size using the NVME CLI.
    Which one have you formated ? SN850ies or the 980 Pros?

Leave a comment:

• CochainComplex
    replied
    Originally posted by Royi View Post

The question is what mechanism routinely checks the files even in case they were not accessed for years.
    with btrfs raid it is also called scrub an can be scheduled as the user wishes.
    I have a NAS system running with BTRFS for the purpose of keeping family photos and videos. But for true redundancy I'm doing a backup with an external HDD once in a while.

Leave a comment:

• gilboa
    replied
    Originally posted by Mez' View Post
    I have 4 different (SATA 2.5") SSDs of 4 different brands, I use them even for storage now, and 1 M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD in my new laptop.
    The oldest is around 5-6 years old. None of them have failed (yet, touching wood).
    It greatly depends on what you do with said SSDs.
    If you are mostly doing media consumption and/or office work, your SSD will last forever.
    If you are doing anything write intensive (E.g. heavy development work, CAD/CAM, database development, etc) and/or using them in any type of write amplification RAID (E.g. RAID5/6/50/60) setup you'll be killing these "desktop" SSDs in no time.

E.g. I just killed two out of 8 Samsung 850 EVOs after less than two years of active duty on a VM server. (The server was used as a staging servers, hence it used cheap-SATA-SSDs).

- Gilboa

Leave a comment:

• Royi
    replied
    I have no idea what M-Disks are.
    Also burning is like putting it in a drawer and never know if it will work in 10 years.

I want something that once in a while automatically checks for the correctness of data and fix what's needed based on some redundancy.

Leave a comment:

• nils_
    replied

So, Could you share more about your backup routine?
    I have files I want to be sure are well backup (Family Photos / Videos).
    I'm concerned which mechanism could validate them over time (That the HD itself didn't miss a bit flip etc...).
    You may want to look into borgbackup, it compresses, deduplicates and encrypts the data which includes checksums so you would be able to detect bit flips (and potentially repair).

Leave a comment:

• Teggs
    replied
    If Samsung is using system RAM instead of onboard, doesn't the speed of the RAM affect the drive's performance? Someone might be using this with DDR3-1333, and another person with DDR4-3600, etc.

Leave a comment:

• torsionbar28
    replied
    Is there any NAS (By ASUSTOR / Synology / QNAP) which have such features as well?
    I think they use BTRFS or maybe one of them use ZFS?
    The only consumer NAS solution I'm aware of that has ZFS is TrueNAS (formerly FreeNAS). Their "Mini" series looks like a competitor to the smaller Synology/Qnap products.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X