Samsung 980 NVMe SSD Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ThoreauHD View Post
    This is a great advertisement for the WD SN850. I didn't realize Samsung made such sad trash. I mean, they make their own memory, controllers, and flash. How do you fuck that up?
    It's quite common for companies to build a reputation, and then cash out.

However I'm not sure the performance difference is as big as as portrayed in the graphs. The SN850 has limited amount of fast storage, so writes are fast ... till you run out. Then the performance drops substantially.
    Last edited by BillBroadley; 26 March 2021, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Agreed. And I am still scared of buying an SSD, feeling that it will fail all of a sudden (unlike HDD which fails gradually).
      I have 4 different (SATA 2.5") SSDs of 4 different brands, I use them even for storage now, and 1 M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD in my new laptop.
      The oldest is around 5-6 years old. None of them have failed (yet, touching wood).

Comment

Apparently, the Crucial P5 I bought should fare similarly to the WD black SN750.
        Also, it's kind of weird that the 980 1 Tb is far behind the WD black SN 750 500 Gb as from all the benchmarks I looked at before buying mine, usually 1 Tb versions came on top of 500 Gb versions.

This particular Samsung 980 doesn't seem to be a good deal.

Comment

The rules for ssds:

max performance across the whole drive lba: go with intel optane nvme. It's in their datasheet 100% area performance.

If I want a drive to last long time go with max write endurance: micron max (with built in rain-raid )

These new nvme drives: you have to find their cached area limit and if you want to get max "up to" datasheet performance you need to keep your io window "within the white lines".

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
            The key to SSDs lasting is not filling them all the way up....if your SSD is at under 75% full it should last plenty long, if you get over that you are reducing the lifespan of the SSD even on models that are have built in over provisioning as there are fewer cells to spread the load over.

If you plan on having 200GB of data, don't buy a 256... buy the 512 etc...
            or buy a datacenter ssd, where you already have the spare (1,6TB instead 2TB, cause we have 400GB spare). + you'll have a supercapacitor and bigger endurance. I'm filling my datacenter ssd/nvme around 90/95% without any problem with a lot of constant write.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              Agreed. And I am still scared of buying an SSD, feeling that it will fail all of a sudden (unlike HDD which fails gradually).
              I made the switch only last year. The key is to use mdadm (or ZoL) and create a mirror. Plus regular backups to some external media. Downside of course, is that it costs twice as much for RAID-1 vs. single drive. But at least then you've got some protection. FWIW I use a mirrored pair of 3.84 TB Samsung PM863a in my daily driver workstation, plus an old WD RE4 spinning drive for regular backups.
              Last edited by torsionbar28; 26 March 2021, 05:44 PM.

Comment

I did some research, the sn850 has a pretty large SLC cache (280GB or so), the samsung 980 pro has a small SLC cache (about half of the sn850), and both are slower than the 970 pro (which didn't have a cache). Not sure about the 980, other than it doesn't have a ram cache.

Depends on your use case, sure some use cases will exceed the cache size, and it's disappointing that the out of cache performance is less than the previous generation. But then again in most normal desktop/laptop use cases these new drives rock.
                Last edited by BillBroadley; 26 March 2021, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                  I made the switch only last year. The key is to use mdadm (or ZoL) and create a mirror. Plus regular backups to some external media. Downside of course, is that it costs twice as much for RAID-1 vs. single drive. But at least then you've got some protection. FWIW I use a mirrored pair of 3.84 TB Samsung PM863a in my daily driver workstation, plus an old WD RE4 spinning drive for regular backups.
                  The question is what checks regularly that no bit was flipped in data?

Comment

Originally posted by Royi View Post
                    The question is what checks regularly that no bit was flipped in data?
                    With ZoL, the regular scrub of the pool does precisely this, since every block is checksum'd on ZFS.

Comment

I should point out that Bad Things Happen when Linux encounters full storage devices. That's why it still isn't a good idea to put all your data on a single partition, regardless the defaults on the major distributions. Bugs and misconfiguration happen. This has become even more the case with SSDs which require enough free cells to (hopefully) move data from failing cells to unused ones. Some MFGs are good at over provisioning. Some are not. I don't think it's wise with the obvious new race to the bottom to test out with your important data just who is going to win that race. It's also one reason spinning rust isn't going away any time soon. Static long lived data is better off on a traditional hard drive as they're generally better with refreshing the surface than SSDs which may or may not bother to check if the charge in the storage cells need a refresh. Testing is showing SSD cell charge may not be as stable as MFGs claim.

Comment

Working...
                      X