Samsung 980 NVMe SSD Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nils_ View Post
    I just replaced two 980 PRO with SN850ies. I noticed the performance is a lot better when re-formatting with 4KiB sector size using the NVME CLI.
    Which one have you formated ? SN850ies or the 980 Pros?

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

Which one have you formated ? SN850ies or the 980 Pros?
      The SN850, the 980 Pro doesn't allow for 4 KiB sector size.

Comment

Hi. I have a MSI Z270 krait gaming with M2 connection gen 3 (PCI E 3.0 x 4). I read the review for samsung 980 and it's pretty good but some comments on this forum (I think most of them) had bad reviews about samsung 980. But nowadays Is it still good to use Samsung 980 (non pro) for ubuntu 20.04?

Comment

There seems to be a problem with the 980's firmware reporting temperature spikes that aren't really there. Temperature 1 spikes regularly to exactly 83.8°C and drops just as fast after several seconds/minutes. This also causes the ssd to throttle the speed. There is no actual temperature increase (verified by touch) and no correlation between the spikes and disk usage. I already got an exchange (from Amazon, not Samsung and with newest firmware), but the new one does the same. Samsung has not confirmed any issue yet, even though more people have reported the issue: https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/...F/td-p/2002779

Do more people here experience this? Anyone found the cause and/or solution except from exchanging it for another brand?
          Samsung SSD 980 1TB Temperature 2022-04-05.png

Code:
          [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]# smartctl -a /dev/nvme0 | grep Temp                 [/COLOR]
          Warning  Comp. Temp. Threshold:     82 Celsius
          Critical Comp. Temp. Threshold:     85 Celsius
          Temperature:                        27 Celsius
          Warning  Comp. Temperature Time:    1127
          Critical Comp. Temperature Time:    0
          Temperature Sensor 1:               27 Celsius
          Temperature Sensor 2:               36 Celsius
          Thermal Temp. 2 Transition Count:   18853
          Thermal Temp. 2 Total Time:         70959[/FONT]

Comment

Working...
          X