CIFSD In-Kernel SMB3 File-Sharing Server Lands In Linux-Next

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by S.Pam View Post

SMB1 was rather old.. Used 20 years ago and people should not have used such old systems without patching or upgrading. Do we have any current major issues with SMB3? Even SMB2 is 17 years old...
    Wrong question...

At present SMB/CIFS is in userland. There is a difference between a protocol flaw and an implementation flaw. The SMB_v1 protocol (which samba would actually help spread if you remember) had a flaw and this known flaw is not present in SMB_v2 or SMB_v3.

The implementation at present on Linux is via Samba, to move this into the kernel should improve performance, however this is brand new so if there is an implementation bug it will now be a kernel exploit. Like all such kernel-based drivers, it must be evaluated

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
      ...It’s kind of like calling an executive assistant a secretary.
      Feel free to send a pull request to rename that kernel server to smb3d... It seems more accurate but definitely not very friendly to pronunciation :-D

From the sources: "CIFSD is a linux kernel server which implements SMB3 protocol in kernel space for sharing files over network."

Comment

this server should let to heal the file-sharing limitations affecting linux users.

Comment

Originally posted by flower View Post
          micro kernels are a good idea on theory but not so much at practice

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post

micro kernels are a good idea on theory but not so much at practice
            tbh i am not so sure anymore. i think we have enough cpu power to do it. at least in theory - its very hard to get a new system gain fraction.

Comment

tbh i am not so sure anymore. i think we have enough cpu power to do it. at least in theory - its very hard to get a new system gain fraction.
              It will be easier to move kernel subsystems into services :-)

Comment

This has been used in OpenWrt for years. Nice to finally see it upstream.

And yes, this improves the performance significantly on weak MIPS routers.

Comment

but well you are right. a microkernel would be nice to have
                  No, no one wants that.

Comment

Originally posted by Mangix View Post
                    This has been used in OpenWrt for years. Nice to finally see it upstream.

And yes, this improves the performance significantly on weak MIPS routers.
                    "Improves" is not enough to accurately describe it. It multiply the performance on weak MIPS. It added an extra zero for my transfers. I faced a couple of problems with endianness, specially with crappy android apps but it has improved a lot. Samba won't be able to match. There was a samba presentation (I guess it was Jeremy Allison) that said this project was young but samba was in trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by luizluca View Post

"Improves" is not enough to accurately describe it. It multiply the performance on weak MIPS. It added an extra zero for my transfers. I faced a couple of problems with endianness, specially with crappy android apps but it has improved a lot. Samba won't be able to match. There was a samba presentation (I guess it was Jeremy Allison) that said this project was young but samba was in trouble.
                      With Samba 4.12 you can enable io_uring. This gave me a big boost on a really old system I had before. Probably not as much as this cifsd, but still a free boost.

Just add "vfs objects = io_uring" to your share in smb.conf

https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/cur...o_uring.8.html

Comment

Working...
                      X