Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zlib-ng 2.0 Released As More Performant + Modern Zlib Fork

Phoronix: Zlib-ng 2.0 Released As More Performant + Modern Zlib Fork

Zlib-ng 2.0 is out today as the first stable release of this zlib fork focused on "next generation" systems with speedier performance and a more modern API, among other changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Faster than gzip and better compression? Great job devs!

Comment

Trading compression ratio for speed? Not so sure it's worth as a drop-in replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by lyamc View Post
        Faster than gzip and better compression? Great job devs!
        That's incorrect.

Comment

Originally posted by xnor View Post

That's incorrect.
          Fine, I’ll be precise: It’s faster on average and trades blows with gzip for compression ratio at different levels

Still impressive

Comment

Originally posted by SilverBird775 View Post
            Trading compression ratio for speed? Not so sure it's worth as a drop-in replacement.
            Although it doesn't achieve the same maximum compression (missing it by less than 1%), otherwise it is significantly faster for the same compression ratios.

Comment

What about pigz? Can this be used similarly to make it faster?

Comment

I still remember the days I first heard of that project as I had a game which used Zlib and tried to speed it up with a custom-compiled version but upstream Zlib didn't take these CPU optimizations so these people started their project to modernize it by themselves. Congrats to the team for their first release.

Comment

To me the modern API is the greatest feature. I've tried using zlib and png libs (a few years ago) and couldn't make a reliable solution because they're too awkward and complicated.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
                    I still remember the days I first heard of that project as I had a game which used Zlib and tried to speed it up with a custom-compiled version but upstream Zlib didn't take these CPU optimizations so these people started their project to modernize it by themselves. Congrats to the team for their first release.
                    Sort of related, I went into the Open Source Licenses part of the Death Stranding menu the other day and was all "I recognize those names and have been to those git repos". That's how you know you're a real nerd. Also very sweet seeing an @KDE.org email address in a video game...and then I scrolled down and saw MiMalloc from Microsoft. Microsoft. In the Open Source License credits. Just what in the hell is the world coming to?

Comment

Working...
                    X