Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basis Universal GPU Texture Codec 1.13 Encoder Is Now Even Faster

Phoronix: Basis Universal GPU Texture Codec 1.13 Encoder Is Now Even Faster

Binomial's Basis Universal GPU texture codec for highly-compressed textures is now even faster when ETC1S encoding to this intermediate format...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And what does it mean for us, end users?

Comment

I don't know about this one. It started paid for close source, then went Open Source, now wants to be in Khronos... It always felt like some kind of Trojan Horse, especially with long term FOSS hater RichG being involved.

After the other texture compression patent disasters (with S3TC being a separate binary you needed to locate to get many games to work on Linux) do we want that risk for a slightly better crunching?

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
        And what does it mean for us, end users?
        Compressing textures lets the GPU move them around faster, so you get a little better use of texture RAM. RAM was a problem 20 years ago, but I am these days it's just one of the many small FPS improvements people expect. Compressing stuff is great as long as there aren't any submarine patents...

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post

Compressing textures lets the GPU move them around faster, so you get a little better use of texture RAM. RAM was a problem 20 years ago, but I am these days it's just one of the many small FPS improvements people expect. Compressing stuff is great as long as there aren't any submarine patents...
          thanks

Comment

That "sounds" like a story I need to know.

Leading into a possibly funny patent story; great 420th post

Comment

Ram is still a problem on mobile, and on consoles, realistically, with them sharing their memory with the CPU, so this also benefits them.

Comment

I don't know about this one. It started paid for close source, then went Open Source, now wants to be in Khronos... It always felt like some kind of Trojan Horse, especially with long term FOSS hater RichG being involved.

After the other texture compression patent disasters (with S3TC being a separate binary you needed to locate to get many games to work on Linux) do we want that risk for a slightly better crunching?
                Hey anonymous "OneTimeShot" - I've been giving away open source software for the past 20 years. We've been in Khronos for years now, helping push KTX2 forward from the very beginning while nobody else gave a damn. My compression software, using various licenses, is in endless commercial and open source products. I worked on the Steam Linux project at Valve from the very beginning, risking my career and then literally almost killing myself bringing games to the Linux platform and teaching developers how to port their games to Linux and OpenGL. What have you done for anybody?

Showing your ignorance (open mouth, insert foot, in public), the S3TC patent is long expired:
                https://phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n...ires-Next-Week

Best regards,
                -Rich

Comment

"Compressing stuff is great as long as there aren't any submarine patents..."

We have zero patents. We are anti-patent for anything related to images or textures. All of our stuff is 100% open source using the Apache 2.0 license. We are also Khronos members, so if we did have patents (which we don't) it would be part of their patent cross licensing pool. Unlike the IHV's and the biggest ISV's we don't use patents to attack people or companies with. (I've been on the receiving side of patent attacks in the past, so I'm solidly anti-patent.)

-Rich

Comment

Never mind, I get it now. That wasn't a lead-in to a joke or a funny story. It was a troll attempt.

Thanks for everything, richgel999, your software has bettered my life and that of many others here.

Comment

Working...
                    X