Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 200+ Open-Source Projects Involved In GSoC 2021

Phoronix: 200+ Open-Source Projects Involved In GSoC 2021

Google has announced the 202 open-source projects that will be included as part of this year's Google Summer of Code (GSoC) initiative for getting students involved in free software development...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cool, but I don't get why Google has reduced the time and funding.
    Don't they like FLOSS anymore ?
    It's kinda disappointing!
    It's not like the pandemic affected them in any way and didn't make tons of money from all the spyware and ads everywhere.

Comment

Look at Google, playing both sides

Code:
      GNOME and KDE
      GCC and LLVM
      FreeBSD and Gentoo
      Debian and OpenSUSE
      Haiku and ReactOS
      Chromium and ..........
      except when it comes to their bottom line

Joking aside, I use pretty much all of that, directly or indirectly, so I'm looking forward to Q3/Q4 2021 now

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        Cool, but I don't get why Google has reduced the time and funding.
        Don't they like FLOSS anymore ?
        It's kinda disappointing!
        It's not like the pandemic affected them in any way and didn't make tons of money from all the spyware and ads everywhere.
        Possible ad inflation and/or/both loss of ad revenue. More and more people reported is less $$$ per eyeball. More and more people reported, however, doesn't necessarily mean more people clicking ads or even viewing them so they could be getting less money per ad combined with no to little increase of revenue generating clicks.

Also, all the telecommuting has to be really effecting their bottom line. I imagine they have some ridiculous bandwidth bills right now. Having to cover all their employees and assets could mean not being able to cover their pet projects like GSoC.

Comment

If they were just giving 50 millions to 200 opensource projects, not only that would benefit the entire world a lot, but that would just cost them nothing compared to the billions they deal with. If all the big tech giants were doing the same, opensource would be shining. But no, there are always just a few hundred talented underpaid key developers to make the tools everybody relies on and tech giant don’t even spend a molecule of their revenue for them. Gsoc ok nice, but still a joke, they could do a lot more.

Epic is so far the only company that shows a good behavior toward smaller foss projects and they even finance Godot.

Comment

Working...
          X