Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OpenZFS 2.0.4 Released With Linux 5.11 Support, Early Linux 5.12 Compatibility Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenZFS 2.0.4 Released With Linux 5.11 Support, Early Linux 5.12 Compatibility Updates

Phoronix: OpenZFS 2.0.4 Released With Linux 5.11 Support, Early Linux 5.12 Compatibility Updates

OpenZFS 2.0.4 is out as the latest version of this open-source ZFS file-system implementation for Linux and FreeBSD systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

With all these bug fixes and changes every release it's obvious that it's inferior and buggy code base like KDE

OR

After seeing that BTRFS article the other day let me tell you about Raid-Z1 and Raid-Z2

Comment

Anyone know when FreeBSD will switch to OpenZFS version 2? Is it coming with the 13 Release?

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
        Anyone know when FreeBSD will switch to OpenZFS version 2? Is it coming with the 13 Release?
        OpenZFS 2.0 is shipping with FreeBSD 13. Not sure about the exact point release though. It's also available as a port so one can quite easily try it on FreeBSD 12 too

Comment

AFAIK it's coming with 13. Michael and other sites have reported that.

Comment

OpenZFS 2.0.x is the default now for FreeBSD 13. Previous to 13 you had to add it in via the openzfs package. iXsystem played a big role in this and kudos to them!

Comment

I assume we can cleanly switch to this implementation during the FreeBSD 13 upgrade without any feature incompatibility?

Comment

It's in 13 now and RC1 is out. https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/rel...O-IMAGES/13.0/

You can run it on 12 too but you need to use the module from ports and it installs different binaries into /usr/local (kind of funky, but it works)

Originally posted by locore View Post
                I assume we can cleanly switch to this implementation during the FreeBSD 13 upgrade without any feature incompatibility?
                Yes, it will update your pool. It's a one way trip though. If you are using features found in 2.0, that don't exist in 1.0 you'll have issues. You don't HAVE to update the pool however, it's optional and it will say:

status: Some supported features are not enabled on the pool. The pool can
                still be used, but some features are unavailable.
                action: Enable all features using 'zpool upgrade'. Once this is done,
                the pool may no longer be accessible by software that does not support
                the features. See zpool-features(5) for details.
                If you do, your pool will be fully cross platform so can be mounted by Linux, FreeBSD, MacOS, Windows etc.
                Last edited by k1e0x; 11 March 2021, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Might as well install 13 RC1 now and do gradual binary updates to full release, once latter becomes available.
                  IMHO it is kind of pointless to install 12 now and upgrade to 13 with much more hassle just few weeks later.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
                    Might as well install 13 RC1 now and do gradual binary updates to full release, once latter becomes available.
                    IMHO it is kind of pointless to install 12 now and upgrade to 13 with much more hassle just few weeks later.
                    Yeah, I'm feeling like that for a workstation. I may def do it. - I think that some pool features can only be added on pool creation, in the old days that was the case but I'm not sure now.

As for production, nope, RELEASE only. If you needed 2.0 features today, or wanted to test you could do Ubuntu also.. Ubuntu's implementation into the system with zsys is kind of slick. FreeBSD should take some of those ideas.
                    Last edited by k1e0x; 11 March 2021, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X