Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ermo View Post
    Code:
    [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]echo -n "If at first you don't succeed, "; for _ in {1..20}; do echo -n "try, "; done; echo "try again."[/COLOR][/FONT]
    That's nice, how do I learn this, what is it called? Bash programming? Shell programming?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

I highly doubt it. The NTFS code in Windows has been around forever, so it has likely seen a lot of refinements.
      Wasn't there a nasty NTFS corruption bug in Windows recently ? A quick Google answers my own question, yes.....

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...-need-to-know/

I'm quite looking forward to NTFS read/write capabilities available in the Kernel, hope it gets mainlined soon.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
        Where is all the "Microsoft Loves Linux" warm and fuzzy now?
        I assume happily not dealing with unwinding the mountains of legal issues just to put NTFS into Linux.
        Same legal issues probably prevent them from contributing to other NTFS driver projects. Too much legal work for a very small payoff.

Comment

Originally posted by ermo View Post

Code:
          [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]echo -n "If at first you don't succeed, "; for _ in {1..20}; do echo -n "try, "; done; echo "try again."[/COLOR][/FONT]
          (Just checking to see which is shorter to type out).
          Using brutal ugly hack to bring that down:

Code:
          [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]echo If at first you don\'t succeed, try,$_{1..20} try again.[/COLOR][/FONT]
          Last edited by estan; 02 March 2021, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Something really simple to skip over Paragon Software use to sell what this new NTFS driver started from that has been though 22 revisions as a commercially ready bit of software.

The mainline peer review to get into the Linux kernel locates a long list of issues.

Comment

Originally posted by BesiegedAce View Post
              I assume happily not dealing with unwinding the mountains of legal issues just to put NTFS into Linux.
              Same legal issues probably prevent them from contributing to other NTFS driver projects. Too much legal work for a very small payoff.
              That the thing the on disc format of NTFS that you need to replicate to be compatible is roughly 20 years old now. So Microsoft cannot really use patents to protect it anymore because they only last 20 years. There is a time frame for how long major legal barriers to a clone product appearing can exist. Paragon wanting to mainline their driver into the kernel is party because with the patent barrier gone another party could have started improving the mainline ntfs to compete with them now without issues any more.

Really I am surprised Microsoft push to ReFS has basically stalled.

Comment

Originally posted by estan View Post

Using brutal ugly hack to bring that down:

Code:
                [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]echo If at first you don\'t succeed, try,$_{1..20} try again.[/COLOR][/FONT]
                Why so complicated? Just use vim
                Code:
                iIf at first you don't <ESC> 20itry, <ESC>stry again.

Comment

Originally posted by Mani View Post

Why so complicated? Just use vim
                  Code:
                  iIf at first you don't <ESC> 20itry, <ESC>stry again.

Comment

He has a point, albeit I like the word "viitor" more

Comment

I wish more developers would help to get this mainlined!
                      Accessing a common NTFS partition on dual-boot systems would be so much better.

Comment

Working...
                      X