Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.12-rc1 Released As The "Frozen Wasteland" Kernel

Phoronix: Linux 5.12-rc1 Released As The "Frozen Wasteland" Kernel

Linus Torvalds issued the first release candidate tonight of Linux 5.12 following an unusual merge window...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"Frozen Wasteland" Totally love the name.

Comment

WTH, I knew about Texas but didn't know there are temperate regions in the US that lose electricity when it snows.

Comment

Hopefully kernel 5.12 will be winterized then!

Comment

Is there any backup in place, should Linus Torvalds become unavailable?

Comment

Originally posted by piorunz View Post
            Is there any backup in place, should Linus Torvalds become unavailable?
            Anarchy?

No, probably Greg Kroah-Hartmann would step up in the interim to do that job as he already did in the past when Linus was on holiday. But they will cross that bridge when they come to it...

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post

Anarchy?

No, probably Greg Kroah-Hartmann would step up in the interim to do that job as he already did in the past when Linus was on holiday. But they will cross that bridge when they come to it...
              No. The bridge is too well guarded.

Comment

Originally posted by middy
                texas is because of politics why everyone knows. it might have started off because it was texas and its not common, but its definitely became political now. west coast loses power a lot during the winter. when i lived in WA i always had stores of extra food saved and a back up generator because between january - march it was common for me to lose power. back in, iirc, 2017 there was a big ice storm up in bellingham area that took out power for a week. power lines had icicles on them lol. was about 10k people without power.

then you just get the storms that bring near hurricane force winds in that takes down trees and power lines. in 2018 a big storm came through that knocked out a ton of trees. my work had no power for almost two weeks after a giant tree fell and took out a power line. we had to bring in industrial generators to get everything back up and running. massive waves took out a road in birch bay.

usually when power went out it was for a day or two. only time it lasted a week was if it was a really bad storm. like that ice storm a few years back.
                To add to that: Texas is the only lower 48 state not connected to the Federal power grid so they cant' get supplemental power in times of emergency. They do their own thing and their thinking was, "Capitalists don't want to lose profits in winter so they'll spend ahead of time to ensure they have the proper infrastructure to prevent winter storm power loss." They've had two winter storms in 10 years that have lead to loss of power and loss of life. It being Texas, they may or may not do something about it.

I live one state to the north in Arkansas and our power system is maintained by the same company that oversees the Texas infrastructure. I have food stores and generators because a swift wind can knock out power around here. That was actually a problem at my first house. Wind would blow, power would flicker. 7 years I lived with that. It seems like they only upgrade the infrastructure around here if something breaks. You're a damn fool if you live in the American South and you don't own a generator.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                  WTH, I knew about Texas but didn't know there are temperate regions in the US that lose electricity when it snows.
                  Our winter in the South isn't just snow. It's mainly ice storms. Everything gets a layer of ice and then some snow goes on top of that. There was 3" of ice on the concrete on my property. My friend from Minnesota won't drive on Arkansas winter roads because the few winter storms we do get are usually much worst than what Northern states get. For example, that Texas storm, I was in it in Arkansas BTW, for me started with freezing rain, hail, and sleet for 24 hours before I got any snow. The weight of that ice on all the trees causes so much damage it isn't funny. It's all that ice that we get that causes all the electricity outages.

Comment

Any updates on the data loss situation? Is there a bug report?

Comment

Working...
                    X