Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    /usr and /opt aren't places for user changes
    Ideally, yeah. Problem is that most all package managers default to installing packages in /usr and a lot of PKGBUILDs use /opt. While FlatSnapApp all try to fix that, some things aren't supposed to be sandboxed like kernel modules for graphics drivers and file systems. Installing user needed software onto overlays achieves similar goals in regards to isolation while allowing them to do things that just don't sandbox or container very well.

If you've ever ran Fedora Silverblue and got hit with layered package annoyances you'd get where I'm coming from a bit more.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      If you've ever ran Fedora Silverblue and got hit with layered package annoyances you'd get where I'm coming from a bit more.
      i didn't and i don't see how this will "cause less pollution" except when your root is readonly or you want to do it in package manager agnostic way

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
        I don't think but so far BSD systems are following a different path...
        systemd daemon was ispired by bsd system named macos. systemd project is inspired by all bsd systems

Comment

Originally posted by BwackNinja View Post
          Once you talk about more than one layer, rw mounting stops making sense anyway.
          subj is ro

Comment

systemd daemon was ispired by bsd system named macos. systemd project is inspired by all bsd systems
            Launchd is around since 2005 and it didn't influnce the BSD world that much, it is only one of the causes of the slowness of OSX/MacOS...

Comment

Launchd is around since 2005 and it didn't influnce the BSD world that much, it is only one of the causes of the slowness of OSX/MacOS...
              rest of bsd world is too slow to adopt modern tech due to lack of manpower

Comment

rest of bsd world is too slow to adopt modern tech due to lack of manpower
                Fair enough but also promotes better designing.

Comment

Fair enough but also promotes better designing.
                  Who gives a shit about design when we can cobble many somethings together randomly and let them fight it out. Progress and evolution at its best. Also, users get bored without mysterious errors and funny bugs.

Comment

Working...
                  X