systemd 248 RC1 Released With New "System Extension Images" Concept

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    "system extension images" sounds like a decent way for distros to install custom packages without polluting root. Everything not part of the core os gets added to an extended image.
    it's unclear how your idea will be less polluting if it's anyway mounted on every boot
    Last edited by pal666; 23 February 2021, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
      Can't keep up with the pace of systemd development I think I am going to move slowly on BSD the majority of my computers...
      keep us posted

Comment

Originally posted by Shiba View Post
        That's precisely what fstab is for.
        cmon, who needs kernel when you have emacs and can write it yourself?

Comment

The images can be read-only
          this is wrong. the main use case is when root(i.e. /usr and/or /opt) is read-only, which precludes you from making mount points there

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            it's unclear how your idea will be less polluting if it's anyway mounted on every boot
            It helps keep user changes off of the core system. If the shit hits the fan you can just not mount the user overlay to see if the issue is user or base system. If paired with homed you could have portable home and user apps overlay that any core os could use. /etc is the tricky one.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
              It helps keep user changes off of the core system.
              /usr and /opt aren't places for user changes

Comment

keep us posted
                Of course I do, to begin I'll setup a BSD server to host my BSD Blog on Gemini...

Comment

this is wrong. the main use case is when root(i.e. /usr and/or /opt) is read-only, which precludes you from making mount points there
                  Humm no https://www.freedesktop.org/software...t.service.html

"System extension images are strictly read-only, and the host /usr/ and /opt/ hierarchies become read-only too while they are activated."

Comment

Originally posted by pabloski View Post
                    Humm no
                    well, article said "extensions could be ro". in reality "root could be ro"

Comment

This reminds me of old projects like: https://github.com/GregorR/snowflake

That used aufs, and one of the caveats to any approach using overlayfs is that you can only safely add layers on top, not remove any layers -- particularly out of order. Once you talk about more than one layer, rw mounting stops making sense anyway.

Comment

Working...
                      X