systemd 248 RC1 Released With New "System Extension Images" Concept

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jacob View Post

To the contrary, people "played" with it and decided that they wanted a proper, standardised way to handle it.
    Ah I see, "mount" is not so widely spread after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiba View Post

Ah I see, "mount" is not so widely spread after all.
      Mount is just a mechanism. What matters more here is a standardized pattern and integration.

Comment

Can't keep up with the pace of systemd development I think I am going to move slowly on BSD the majority of my computers...

Comment

It's nice that systemd 248 ships with the KDE Dophin file browser so that users can browse any settings outside the terminal if needed.

Comment

I think it's probably too late for 21.04. More likely it will appear in 21.10. If you want to try it out, rolling distros like Arch should receive it soon though.
            It doesn't really matter that much anyway. I mean: with the short support schedules of non-LTS Ubuntu releases these days, most people use the LTS or some other distro.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

systemd 249 Release Notes:
              systemd-sysext renamed to systemd-overlay because stupid people will mistake sysext for syber sex tool which is offensive to people who think master is offensive.
              So is "overlay" if you apply that logic, 'cause people can lay "over" each other, which could either refer to dead bodies or people having sex while laying on top of each other.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

Mount is just a mechanism. What matters more here is a standardized pattern and integration.
                That's precisely what fstab is for.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

So is "overlay" if you apply that logic, 'cause people can lay "over" each other, which could either refer to dead bodies or people having sex while laying on top of each other.
                  Dear Penthouse,

Met the girl of my dreams last night. We clicked instantly and the next thing you know we had an overlay on the couch. She tried to mount me on dining room table but it crashed. No problem, we started right back up fscked all night long. She really knew how to ctrl the system's d.

Yours truly,
                  Linux Guy

Comment

To the contrary, people "played" with it and decided that they wanted a proper, standardised way to handle it.
                    Yeah, interesting, but I don't see these technologies coming to fruition. This is a new thing, but I bet we will never see a Linux distro capable of dynamically plug/unplug programs. People that have used Slax know what I mean.

You have a read-only "extension image". You double click on it and voilĂ , it merges with the root fs.

Also it is not clear how they will implement configuration of these "extension images" applications. The devs stated that /etc is off-limits. Will the configs be put in /usr/local/etc?? But I suppose this will require patching a bunch of programs that currently use /etc to store their config.

p.s. I am one of those people playing with overlayfs. I have settled on a "live" setup, with the rootfs mounted ro from a squashfs and the overlay in tmpfs. To maintain persistence for some programs, I use containers ( through systemd-nspawn ). So I have a base system that is ro and overlay in tmpfs and programs needing to "have memory" in containers on another volume ( a xfs one for various reasons ).
                    Last edited by pabloski; 23 February 2021, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiba View Post
                      Amazing! Nobody ever "played" with OverlayFS in the past 10 years... thank god there is another systemd quirk for it.
                      right, why do you need applications when syscalls are available !!!!!1111

Comment

Working...
                      X