systemd 248 RC1 Released With New "System Extension Images" Concept

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• systemd 248 RC1 Released With New "System Extension Images" Concept

Phoronix: systemd 248 RC1 Released With New "System Extension Images" Concept

The first release candidate of systemd 248 is now available with a number of improvements ranging from a new "system extensions images" concept to the out-of-memory daemon (OOMD) being declared stable...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope the final will not be too late to be included in Ubuntu 21.04
    It would be nice to have better privacy and security because of the various systemd-resolved improvements.
    Last edited by Danny3; 22 February 2021, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      It would be nice to have better privacy and security because of the various systemd-resolved improvements.
      I would love to see that too, but I doubt if it will actually roll in Ubuntu 21.04. I wish they do.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        I think it's probably too late for 21.04. More likely it will appear in 21.10. If you want to try it out, rolling distros like Arch should receive it soon though.

Comment

Amazing new features as always! Cannot wait to play with the sys extensions!

Comment

Originally posted by pininety View Post
            Amazing new features as always! Cannot wait to play with the sys extensions!
            Amazing! Nobody ever "played" with OverlayFS in the past 10 years... thank god there is another systemd quirk for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiba View Post

Amazing! Nobody ever "played" with OverlayFS in the past 10 years... thank god there is another systemd quirk for it.
              To the contrary, people "played" with it and decided that they wanted a proper, standardised way to handle it.

Comment

"system extension images" sounds like a decent way for distros to install custom packages without polluting root. Everything not part of the core os gets added to an extended image.

Comment

The most anticipated feature:
                  - Systemd has renamed its main Git development branch from "master" to "main".

Comment

Originally posted by Setif View Post
                    The most anticipated feature:
                    - Systemd has renamed its main Git development branch from "master" to "main".
                    systemd 249 Release Notes:
                    systemd-sysext renamed to systemd-overlay because stupid people will mistake sysext for syber sex tool which is offensive to people who think master is offensive.

Comment

Working...
                    X