Microsoft Contributes Integrity Improvements To Linux 5.12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
    Well it is sounds like the cloud version of "secure boot", I wouldn't surprise if at a certain point you will forced to use or buy only M$ certified Linux kernels...
    When they're competing with AWS and Google Cloud who'd both be happy to take their dissatisfied customers? Unlikely.

Comment

Well it is sounds like the cloud version of "secure boot", I wouldn't surprise if at a certain point you will forced to use or buy only M$ certified Linux kernels...
      Tbh, they free to do whatever they want within Azure. Other clouds, they don't control.

Comment

Well nobody has said it yet so it falls to me: How can a company who has no integrity try to improve the integrity of the Linux kernel ?

Comment

"Contribute"
          "Integrity"
          "Improvement"
          All three individual words are prime examples of words I never in my wildest fever dreams, could have imagined in the same sentence as the word/name "Microsoft", yet here we are... And had it not been open source, I wouldn't ever have trusted either of those words in the same sentence as Microsoft...

...And I'm not sure I do now;
          I don't really know anything about this (which I'm sure is glaringly obvious), but knowing Microsoft, this read smells ever so slightly like telemetry - or at least something that could be used to coax information out of these things under the guise of making sure that the newest kernel is loaded.

EDIT:
          Just saw the above post now. Had the page loaded for a while, before responding.
          We'll put, PublicNuisance! :'D
          Last edited by mbrf; 22 February 2021, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pipe13 View Post
            From the linked article: "- Around 50% of the VMs on Azure are Linux-based..." Those VM's hypervisor would likely but not necessarily be MS' Hyper-V.
            Given Microsoft has added support for Linux to boot as the root partition for Hyper-V, I think it is likely that Microsoft is planning on (or already is) using Linux rather than Windows to manage Hyper-V in Azure. So they very well could be using these integrity features for both their own security and their customers'.

Comment

i'm pretty sure ms doesn't care what you run on azure as long as you pay per hour

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                i'm pretty sure ms doesn't care what you run on azure as long as you pay per hour
                You're probably right but I am still having hard time to understand why you should run a Linux distro over a Windows server...

Comment

You're probably right but I am still having hard time to understand why you should run a Linux distro over a Windows server...
                  What operating system is running under the hypervisor is largely irrelevant to you in a cloud platform.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

What operating system is running under the hypervisor is largely irrelevant to you in a cloud platform.
                    Not sure... The same reason you prefer Linux over Windows apply also on the hypervisor space.

Comment

Not sure... The same reason you prefer Linux over Windows apply also on the hypervisor space.
                      Explain how it impacts you when you are using a cloud provider.

Comment

Working...
                      X