Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XFS File-System With Linux 5.12 Has "A Lot Going On This Time"

Phoronix: XFS File-System With Linux 5.12 Has "A Lot Going On This Time"

XFS maintainer Darrick Wong characterized the file-system driver changes for Linux 5.12 as "a lot going on this time, which seems about right for this drama-filled year."..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael any chance of new ssd fs benchmark round for linux 5.12?

Comment

I heard that Rust is going to be allowed in the Linux kernel, then imagine if someone writes a file system in Rust, then maybe we can have a reliable file system without any file system corruption.

Comment

uid313 We already have BTRFS, Ext4, XFS and many more. What would be the value of yet another filesystem?

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
          uid313 We already have BTRFS, Ext4, XFS and many more. What would be the value of yet another filesystem?
          Having a file system that is good. That is reliable, trusted, solid and has features. Btrfs has lots of cool features, but you can't trust it with your data. Ext4 and XFS are stable but they lack features. With Rust maybe we can have a file system that is reliable, but I don't know, maybe Btrfs isn't unreliable because of the language, maybe it has other types of bugs and things like poor design.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
            To have a filesystem that has the all features of all the ones you listed. ZFS is the only one that does but it's out of tree. Only EXT4 is case insensitive; only F2FS/BTRFS have compression; XFS deletes fast and doesn't shrink. You gotta pick and choose filesystems by features needed because the only real multitool filesystem isn't in-kernel.

I hope they rewrite OpenZFS in Rust and GPL.

Comment

Why do people think writing programs / drivers in rust magically solves everything?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                I heard that Rust is going to be allowed in the Linux kernel, then imagine if someone writes a file system in Rust, then maybe we can have a reliable file system without any file system corruption.
                filesystem interacts with other pieces of kernel and bugs in software often result from incorrect interaction between pieces. and rust doesn't make programs magically bug free, it can be seen as a silver bullet only by imbeciles like you or by people who never learned language more advanced than c
                Last edited by tildearrow; 21 February 2021, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Btrfs has lots of cool features, but you can't trust it with your data
                  i can, because i'm smarter than you
                  . Ext4 and XFS are stable
                  you can't have stable non-checksummimg fs on bitrotting drive
                  With Rust maybe we can have a file system that is reliable
                  did it work well for firefox?
                  , but I don't know, maybe Btrfs isn't unreliable because of the language, maybe it has other types of bugs and things like poor design.
                  well, you are correct with first sentence, you don't know. btrfs is reliable, but some of its features are not ready yet(raid5/6). so don't use them, that's all, just as you don't use 100% of unimplemented features of your imaginary rust filesystem
                  Last edited by pal666; 21 February 2021, 10:29 AM.

Comment

XFS' (lack of) shrink support is the main thing that has stopped me using it all these years.

That said, now we have btrfs I'm not sure if I would bother going back to XFS even if it did pick up shrink support. Maybe if it picked up subvolume support as well.

And yes, for typical laptop uses you *can* trust btrfs with your data, at least on *buntu and Manjaro.

Comment

Working...
                    X