Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nintendo 64 Support Mailed In For The Linux 5.12 Kernel

Phoronix: Nintendo 64 Support Mailed In For The Linux 5.12 Kernel

As expected, the new port of the Linux kernel to the Nintendo 64 game console from the 90's is now being mainlined in 2021 with the Linux 5.12 kernel.....

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The Joe Biden effect.

Comment

Itanium was born dead. The N64 will be around forever. Games consoles don’t die...

Comment

It would be intresting to know if the Nintendo Switch Support is also coming to mainline now that everywhere we see android screenshots on that mobile console.
        The superior hardware would make it an intresting target.

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
          Itanium was born dead. The N64 will be around forever. Games consoles don’t die...
          Nowadays, N64 lives more through emulators than the actual console. Just as well, since then you don't have to have a 3rd hand to play it.

Comment

Cryptomining with a N64 cluster...

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              Nowadays, N64 lives more through emulators than the actual console. Just as well, since then you don't have to have a 3rd hand to play it.
              Man I loved that control paddle. The middle joystick was awesome for a number of games. Though there were a few games where the middle joystick felt awkward when you had to switch to the left side d-pad.

Comment

Ha!

I have to admire the moxie of some Linux developers

Like others I question the viability of the N64 as an actual platform, but still, it's pretty cool.

Comment

The Apollo guidance computer had 32KB RAM and it got us on the Moon. I'm quite curious where the N64 will take us with that "abundance" of RAM.

Comment

At least those maintaining the code don't have to worry about Spectre and Meltdown...

Comment

Working...
                    X