Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DRanged
    replied
    With a bit of luck in time for Debian testing that is already on kernel 5.10.13 before it becomes stable.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post

There is already a patch that's been out to deal with the sysfs/cpuinfo inaccuracies, should be in 5.12/5.11/5.10 in the coming days.
    Ah, good to hear.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by rene View Post
    well, we have good and bad news: I can confirm it improves wall clock time compiling the linux kernel on my 5950x. The bad news: it display random garbage for the cpu frequencies in /proc/cpuinfo :-/ https://youtu.be/--2Xu9WIM1E
    Yeah,mine says max. frequency is 6 GHz now..........dunno if it's a bad value in the ACPI tables or something else. And whether or not it's an AMD AGESA bug or motherboard manufacturer UEFI bug.

Leave a comment:

• creative
    replied
    rene

Just learned a lot of stuff on the command line from watching that video. Nice channel.

Just wrote a nice little shell script for watching frequencies extrapolating from the video.
    Last edited by creative; 18 February 2021, 06:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by rene View Post
    well, we have good and bad news: I can confirm it improves wall clock time compiling the linux kernel on my 5950x. The bad news: it display random garbage for the cpu frequencies in /proc/cpuinfo :-/ https://youtu.be/--2Xu9WIM1E
    There is already a patch that's been out to deal with the sysfs/cpuinfo inaccuracies, should be in 5.12/5.11/5.10 in the coming days.

Leave a comment:

• rene
    replied

Leave a comment:

• euduvda
    replied
    But for most workloads, the Linux 5.10.17 performance was the same as the 5.10.16 kernel
    No regressions?! That's already good enough! Some are faster with the patch.

Always good to see more testing!

Leave a comment:

• Linux 5.10.17 Backports CPUFreq Patches From 5.11 - Benchmarks

Phoronix: Linux 5.10.17 Backports CPUFreq Patches From 5.11 - Benchmarks

Released yesterday was the Linux 5.10.17 LTS kernel and what makes this point release a bit more notable than usual is that it backports the CPUFreq patches from 5.11 that were used for addressing the earlier AMD performance regression on Linux 5.11 and often leading to net improvements as well over prior kernel series. The CPUFreq patches were back-ported while the AMD frequency invariance support was not, so what does the performance look like for the Linux 5.10 LTS kernel? Here are some benchmarks...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X