No announcement yet.

Btrfs With Linux 5.12 Gets More Performance Improvements, Working Zoned Mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sub-page block size support is now working but with more work still on the way
    Wow, does it mean that I will finally be able to mount a ppc64le (64K page size) btrfs partition on x86_64?
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
      Hearing about BTRFS "improvements" while on a BTRFS filesystem scares the shit out of me.

Guess I'll have to do my backups and skip 5.12 for a few months until other people are offered as "human sacrifice" to test if it is a totally clusterfuck or not.
      There are bugs in every software. How often and how easy those bugs bite is far more important. For example if you hit a bug only if your filesystem is over 500 terrabytes it is not something the majority of users would be too much concerned about. Same thing about disk arrays >32 disks.

​​​​​​You should always have tested backups of valuable data you care about anyway.

On the other hand... BTRFS have saved me from disaster and corruption more than once. I have been using it since before 2013 and have never lost anything. There was a nasty bug in early kernel 5.2 that hit me. However I was able to recover everything without much problems. Other non-check-summing filesystems may not complain about corruption so you never know if you data is sane in the first place and when you notice a 'blipp' in your movie/audio/picture or whatever you would know if your files has been corrupted locally or not.

BTRFS have (for me) worked flawlessly on stable LTS kernels and as long as you only use the stable features you should be better off than with just about any other filesystem. Most horror stories on the mailing list is usually due to some exotic set up, bad hardware, usb drives or old (usually non LTS) kernels.
      Last edited by waxhead; 19 February 2021, 09:10 PM. Reason: Fixed the most grave typos... there are probably more....

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Do any consumer drives support zones exposed to users?

Comment

Originally posted by S.Pam View Post
          Do any consumer drives support zones exposed to users?
          I don’t think so. IIRC this is largely targeting enterprise drives / data centres

Comment

Originally posted by Markopolo View Post

I don’t think so. IIRC this is largely targeting enterprise drives / data centres
            It would be great if consumer SMR drives did.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
              Guess I'll have to do my backups
              guess you aren't doing your backups. no wonder shit is scared out of you

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                Wow, does it mean that I will finally be able to mount a ppc64le (64K page size) btrfs partition on x86_64?
                the opposite(4k partition on 64k os)
                but
                "
                - subpage block size
                • - currently read-only support
                • - the read-write support is on the way, page sizes are still limited to 4K or 64K
                "
                Last edited by pal666; 18 February 2021, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
                  That feature has got nothing to do with any filesystem, not Ext4 and not BTRFS.
                  I didn't mean to imply it did. I stated earlier 3 different layers, FDE, filesystem, file. When I said FDE, I was thinking of the hardware equivalent SED, I wasn't aware of a software alternative that LUKS provides with dm-crypt.

The quote I responded to was querying why EXT4 was mentioned as using FDE but the BTRFS disks mentioned LUKS. I knew EXT4 supported filesystem level encryption, but didn't think of that as equivalent to FDE, so I looked into LUKS a bit to realize that was FDE via software and what I was thinking of was FDE via hardware (aka SED).

Thus my question was more about, what relevance filesystem encryption had if you had FDE(hardware/software) and file based encryption already in place.

Originally posted by DanglingPointer View Post
                  Luks is capable of full disk encryption. Partitioning is done on top of it. That's what I did for each disk. Btrfs stripes are done on top of the luks.

The Ubuntu installer uses luks for full disk encryption. EXT4 is done on top of luks.
                  Ok, I thought you were originally differentiating FDE from LUKS in your message as if to say EXT4 was handled differently such as via it's filesystem encryption support.

Still curious why EXT4 is involved in your setup, what has you prefer that to be involved vs all BTRFS?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    the opposite(4k partition on 64k os)
                    Is 64k partition on 4k os something which is currently being worked on?
                    ## VGA ##
                    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

Ok, I thought you were originally differentiating FDE from LUKS in your message as if to say EXT4 was handled differently such as via it's filesystem encryption support.

Still curious why EXT4 is involved in your setup, what has you prefer that to be involved vs all BTRFS?
                      Simply because it was default on installer and didn't really care too much about the tiny OS SSD disk. All my stuff is in the massive RAID5. I trust the integrity more of the BTRFS RAID5 than the OS disk. Not because it is ext4, but because it was an SSD and like I said from 7 years ago! When longevity of SSD's were not fully apreciated nor tested. It's still running now by the way! But not much happens on the OS disk besides var/log and systemD logs I suppose.

Comment

Working...
                      X