Monado 21.0 Released As An Officially Conformant OpenXR Implementation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monado 21.0 Released As An Officially Conformant OpenXR Implementation

Phoronix: Monado 21.0 Released As An Officially Conformant OpenXR Implementation

Monado, the leading open-source project implementing The Khronos Group's OpenXR specification for AR/VR devices, is now officially considered a conformant implementation and is marked by its v21.0 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Congrats! I'm also glad to see some devices are finally starting to support position (i.e. full 6-DoF)!

Comment

Does that mean anything meaningful for OpenHMD and how many centuries do we have to wait for the next VLC version with VR Support? Does that change anything on their front?

I had some customized openhmd version with my Mixed Reality HMD and gstreamer-vr thing https://github.com/lubosz/gst-plugins-vr

But all very very wonkey and not with direct mode so I see lot's of action with Monado but all other project don't have any commits in years

Comment

Just release the specs for the darn holospace already. So that someone can build a reference implementation.

Comment

@bllackiwid: openhmd is their biggest plugin for drivers. But it still sucks anyway, because OpenHMD controllers aren't supported. And there's more VR video player then vlc4, like:

Sadly there's no full support for Nolo or HDK2 :-(

Comment

Originally posted by evil_core View Post
            @bllackiwid: openhmd is their biggest plugin for drivers. But it still sucks anyway, because OpenHMD controllers aren't supported. And there's more VR video player then vlc4, like:

Sadly there's no full support for Nolo or HDK2 :-(
            thanks for that info can you seek with that player because sadly you can't with the gst-vr thing. That said I had bad experiences with steamvr... steam is a huge peace of shit like a separate operation-system with thousands of files and folders...

This Monado thing seems to be only useful for developers but they seem to never release anything useful for end-users. (nerd endusers / hackers, not really real end users anyway )

Comment

ok tested it and kind of works after loading it with LD_LIBRARY Path of vrmonitor... but yeah my orientation in steamvr is 90 grad tilted that means that when I want to look up I have to move my head to the left

And I don't have any controller inside of the 3d picture because the vr controller don't work and not sure if it's possible to use the steam controller...

But yeah interesting. I still find it funny that linux VR stuff would be based on proprietary Steam plugins. At least as far as I understand this player uses that?

Comment

@blackwid: not sure if propietiary libs are needed, but Valve made OpenVR open-source from the beginning. There were no OpenXR standard at the time, and the only fully open source stack was OSVR. But for propietiary games you needed SteamVR. I'ts not as bad as Oculus/Facebook thing as you paint. I heard that you can use OpenVR in place of SteamVR, but never tested it/not sure about that.
                Remember that OpenXR standarized only few months ago (as client software API, device API is still in development). Windows Mixed Reality and Monado are the only implementations of that at the time. The future starts looking bright with it.

Comment

Originally posted by evil_core View Post
                  Valve made OpenVR open-source from the beginning..
                  OpenVR is a specification. There is only one implementation called SteamVR. Very closed source and proprietary but luckily no DRM if you grab the enterprise runtime.

Unless you really need direct mode, OpenHMD is honestly the only useful solution for VR. Just the bare minimum to turn the thing on, read the sensor data and... well some sample shaders for lenses that need them

Almost every other implementation is just talk and over monetisation.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

OpenVR is a specification. There is only one implementation called SteamVR. Very closed source and proprietary but luckily no DRM if you grab the enterprise runtime.

Unless you really need direct mode, OpenHMD is honestly the only useful solution for VR. Just the bare minimum to turn the thing on, read the sensor data and... well some sample shaders for lenses that need them

Almost every other implementation is just talk and over monetisation.
                    Des this contain DRM too?
                    OpenVR SDK. Contribute to ValveSoftware/openvr development by creating an account on GitHub.

And OpenHMD is not only solution, there are other, independent drivers in monado, not related to OpenHMD.
                    And there is OSVR, that got much more complete drivers for OSVR HDK or Nolo (v1 firmware).
                    There are probably some other lesser-known stacks.
                    And OpenHMD isn't OpenXR implementation, so can only be used as plugin/driver. And because it refuses to merge support for proprietary IMUs that does their own calculations on-board, it's usable only for small portion of devices.

Comment

Working...
                    X