Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.11 Released With Intel Integer Scaling, AMD Performance Boost, RTX 30 KMS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
    hotaru that changelog is bogus. I’m using the latest 6.1.19 release and it doesn’t build on the latest 5.10 point release.
    if it doesn't build, what's this?

Comment

I've noticed a CPU performance regression in Shadow of the Tomb Raider Vulkan port: While I got ~99fps before, it's now ~85 at that place in the game (5700 XT, vsync off).
      Doesn't seem to be related to userspace drivers (nor CPU clock governors) and also current 5.10 versions show the performance loss. I guess I'd have to jump back some kernel versions and see if it gets better at some point...

Comment

With 5.11 on my 3900x, lscpu now reports 6078,5151Hz as max frequency. Something to worry about?

Comment

Originally posted by hotaru View Post

if it doesn't build, what's this?
          Just to prove it to you:

Code:
          opt ❯ uname -a
          Linux ubuntu [B]5.10.15-051015[/B]+custom-generic #051015+202102100831 SMP PREEMPT Wed Feb 10 14:18:05 PST 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
          [B]opt ❯ sudo dpkg -i virtualbox-6.1_6.1.18-142142\~Ubuntu\~eoan_amd64.deb[/B]
          Selecting previously unselected package virtualbox-6.1.
          (Reading database ... 1423543 files and directories currently installed.)
          Preparing to unpack virtualbox-6.1_6.1.18-142142~Ubuntu~eoan_amd64.deb ...
          Unpacking virtualbox-6.1 (6.1.18-142142~Ubuntu~eoan) ...
          Setting up virtualbox-6.1 (6.1.18-142142~Ubuntu~eoan) ...
          addgroup: The group `vboxusers' already exists as a system group. Exiting.
          [B]vboxdrv.sh: failed: Look at /var/log/vbox-setup.log to find out what went wrong.

There were problems setting up VirtualBox. To re-start the set-up process, run
          /sbin/vboxconfig[/B]
          as root. If your system is using EFI Secure Boot you may need to sign the
          kernel modules (vboxdrv, vboxnetflt, vboxnetadp, vboxpci) before you can load
          them. Please see your Linux system's documentation for more information.
          Processing triggers for systemd (245.4-4ubuntu3.4) ...
          Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.24-1ubuntu3) ...
          Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.36.0-1ubuntu1) ...
          Processing triggers for mime-support (3.64ubuntu1) ...
          Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme (0.17-2) ...
          Processing triggers for shared-mime-info (1.15-1) ...
          opt ❯ sudo apt purge virtualbox-6.1
          Reading package lists... Done
          Building dependency tree
          Reading state information... Done
          The following packages will be REMOVED:
          virtualbox-6.1*
          0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
          After this operation, 216 MB disk space will be freed.
          Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
          (Reading database ... 1424292 files and directories currently installed.)
          Removing virtualbox-6.1 (6.1.18-142142~Ubuntu~eoan) ...
          Processing triggers for mime-support (3.64ubuntu1) ...
          Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme (0.17-2) ...
          Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.36.0-1ubuntu1) ...
          Processing triggers for shared-mime-info (1.15-1) ...
          Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.24-1ubuntu3) ...
          (Reading database ... 1423543 files and directories currently installed.)
          Purging configuration files for virtualbox-6.1 (6.1.18-142142~Ubuntu~eoan) ...
          Error: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.systemd1.UnitMasked: Unit packagekit.service is masked.
          [B]opt ❯ sudo ./VirtualBox-6.1.19-142777-Linux_amd64.run[/B]
          Verifying archive integrity... All good.
          Uncompressing VirtualBox for Linux installation.............
          VirtualBox Version 6.1.19 r142777 (2021-02-11T22:08:09Z) installer
          Installing VirtualBox to /opt/VirtualBox
          Python found: python, installing bindings...
          [B]vboxdrv.sh: failed: Look at /var/log/vbox-setup.log to find out what went wrong.

There were problems setting up VirtualBox. To re-start the set-up process, run
          /sbin/vboxconfig[/B]
          as root. If your system is using EFI Secure Boot you may need to sign the
          kernel modules (vboxdrv, vboxnetflt, vboxnetadp, vboxpci) before you can load
          them. Please see your Linux system's documentation for more information.

VirtualBox has been installed successfully.

You will find useful information about using VirtualBox in the user manual
          /opt/VirtualBox/UserManual.pdf
          and in the user FAQ
          http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/User_FAQ

We hope that you enjoy using VirtualBox.

The installation log file is at /var/log/vbox-install.log.
          Even the 6.1.18 version in the latest .deb doesn't work. Pulling the latest .run file version 6.1.19 r142777 doesn't work either. So I don't know what the hell they're talking about.

Comment

Just to prove it to you:
            ​​​​​​that looks like a problem that you caused yourself. the package I linked to was built.

Code:
            hotaru@panda:~ $ uname -a
            Linux panda.thinkindifferent.net 5.10.16-arch1-1 #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat, 13 Feb 2021 20:50:18 +0000 x86_64 GNU/Linux
            hotaru@panda:~ $ sudo modprobe vboxdrv
            hotaru@panda:~ $ lsmod|grep vboxdrv
            vboxdrv               528384  0
            hotaru@panda:~ $ vboxmanage --version
            6.1.18r142142

Comment

511fps on performance governor in CS:GO benchmark vs 408fps with schedutil...

Comment

​​​​​​that looks like a problem that you caused yourself. the package I linked to was built.
                How is that a problem I caused though? All I did was attempt to install the packages on an LTS 20.04 release. If I change only one thing and that's reboot to the 5.4 kernel, it builds and installs fine.

Comment

How is that a problem I caused though? All I did was attempt to install the packages on an LTS 20.04 release.
                  1. I'm pretty sure the proper way to install a package on Ubuntu is with apt, not with a ".run file"
                  2. the .deb you tried to install is apparently for 19.10 (eoan), not 20.04 (focal).
                  3. Ubuntu 20.04 uses 5.4 or 5.8, not 5.10.

Comment

1. I'm pretty sure the proper way to install a package on Ubuntu is with apt, not with a ".run file"
                    2. the .deb you tried to install is apparently for 19.10 (eoan), not 20.04 (focal).
                    3. Ubuntu 20.04 uses 5.4 or 5.8, not 5.10.
                    Ok buddy.

edit: Nah I'll humor you

1) Irrelevant, I used both options available to me
                    2) VirtualBox's own website has the same link for eoan and focal, see the link "Ubuntu 19.10 / Ubuntu 20.04"
                    3) I only brought up 20.04 to imply I'm using an LTS release and not a bleeding edge 20.10 or 21.04 beta. Kernel version is irrelevant except that I haven't been able to get 5.10 working on VirtualBox and we're on 5.10.16 now.

Anything else I missed?
                    Last edited by perpetually high; 15 February 2021, 10:34 PM.

Comment

After installing 5.11 on an AMD Ryzen 3800x my CPU core speeds--both max and variance-- have increased markedly.
                      Checking /proc/cpuinfo I rarely saw CPU speeds greater than 4.5 GHz before this kernel. With 5.11 I'm seeing max single CPU freqs exceeding 5.3 GHz. Most of the remaining CPUs stay ~ 2.2 with minimal demand (not idle, typing this message) . Running a VM puts the 4 allotted CPUs in 4.2- 5.4 range when I dictate into DNS in a Windows 7 virtual machine. something seems to have unleashed the Ryzen chip speed. Anyone else seeing this?

Comment

Working...
                      X