Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post

Agreed.

Its kind of crazy to think that overclocking (6000 series) is now becoming a supported thing and yet still no GUI. If there's anything that screams control panel, it's overclocking functionality.
    There are already some GUI apps which you can use for this. Or you can just set it from sysfs with a script. Your choice.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
      Pixel format and bit depth can be controlled via EDID, HDR works already via direct DRM context, VSR and chill are a user space thing.
      People are always mixing up kernel and user space...
      What and what ???
      As there is no control panel, please tell me if there's a command at least to activate that ?
      Or you're telling me just excuses, but it's already possible if I jump through hoops, hack half-way through the kernel and write my own control panel ?
      Because some people have these weird idea that this is doable for everybody.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        Because some people have these weird idea that this is doable for everybody.
        Yet you implied the features were missing entirely. There's no doubt that it sucks that they aren't easily accessible and kernel devs/maintainers really should find a way to easily set those parameters across all vendors and both at boot and at runtime.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
          Yet you implied the features were missing entirely. There's no doubt that it sucks that they aren't easily accessible and kernel devs/maintainers really should find a way to easily set those parameters across all vendors and both at boot and at runtime.
          I've implied that those features are missing completely because I cannot find anywhere a way how to take advantage of them, how to activate them, not even in the custom control panels like CoreCtrl.
          Besides, there's no command anywhere that I can copy-past in the terminal to change something.
          For me this is as good as non-existing.
          I don't have the knowledge or the time to do AMD's job.
          That's why I paid a lot of money for their product and they do their job on Windows, but for some reason they refuse to make that control panel cross-platform.
          So yeah, this sucks,but what sucks more is the fact that there's not improvement in this area for many years.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            that includes "i need control panel" btw
            aufkrawall and pal666, I guess what is needed is an explanation as to why a request for a control panel is viewed as so threatening that it must not ever happen.

I know there is stiff opposition to it. I just dont know why that opposition exists, I've never seen a straight answer.

And so its said, no, I dont expect my UI to be windows-ish. I expect my UI to be linux-ish. So can someone please explain to me what exactly is the problem???

Comment

aufkrawall and pal666, I guess what is needed is an explanation as to why a request for a control panel is viewed as so threatening that it must not ever happen.
              lol. it is not viewed as threatening. it is viewed as imbecilic and noone with brain will implement it. you think you need it, but you have no brain to do it. people with brain don't need it
              Last edited by pal666; 15 February 2021, 05:15 PM.

Comment

I know there is stiff opposition to it. I just dont know why that opposition exists, I've never seen a straight answer.

And so its said, no, I dont expect my UI to be windows-ish. I expect my UI to be linux-ish. So can someone please explain to me what exactly is the problem???
                I think it's just that after the 100th or 200th time explaining that adding a control panel won't give you the functionality you want until it has been implemented in the drivers (which is 90% of the work) people start to get tired of answering the question.

With the exception of FreeSync (which is controlled via xrandr) all of the driver functionality which has been implemented can also be controlled via sysfs or simiilar. If there isn't a way to enable functionality that usually means the driver does not *have* that functionality yet, and adding a control panel won't do anything to change that.
                Test signature

Comment

It's about software interfaces. You need some kind of input mechanism. So overclocking can already be done by modifying files in sysfs and as such a few overly simplistic GUI's already exist for that. But for everything that doesn't have an existing interface there is no way to write a GUI that is anything more than a mockup.

Examples include...
                  Fan control - You can't, there is no interface to adjust fan curves.
                  Override AA/AF - You can't, mesa doesn't support it and there is no interface to do it.
                  Display Settings - Sorta/Kinda, AMD believes it's up to the DE to write display interfaces so they just refuse.
                  Custom Modes - Sorta/Kinda, goes with display settings also, but can only be configured in kernel.
                  etc, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    lol. it is not viewed as threatening. it is viewed as imbecilic and noone with brain will implement it. you think you need it, but you have no brain to do it. people with brain don't need it
                    Imbecilic and brainless people....... so only elites such as yourself should have access.... hey, you know what it's a straight to the point answer. I appreciate it!

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                      ...... adding a control panel won't give you the functionality you want until it has been implemented........
                      I'm only seeking controls for already existing functionality, which are many.

Comment

Working...
                      X