There Are Big Changes On The Horizon With Linux 5.12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
    I don't think that's any different with Intel?
    But I agree that such things should be toggleable e.g. via sysfs or other viable ways.
    Intel at least supports the "broadcast rgb" property to set the color range, although I don't see a property to set the color space (rgb/yuv)

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      But of course, when you don't even have the smallest and simplest control panel, it's hard to know what you're missing.
      Agreed.

Its kind of crazy to think that overclocking (6000 series) is now becoming a supported thing and yet still no GUI. If there's anything that screams control panel, it's overclocking functionality.

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
        If there's anything that screams control panel, it's overclocking functionality.
        Why is that? I set it once via script and that's it.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
          Some people have a fundamental misunderstanding how Linux upstream development works. If you expect everything to be Windows-ish, go Windows.
          that includes "i need control panel" btw

Comment

I think 5.11 needs an rc8. I've been trying to get it to boot since rc5 and never could. However I couldn't find any error information from previous, seemingly truncated, logs, and could never ssh in so I couldn't get logs to file a bug.

But I compiled the git today and was finally able to ssh in so I filed this bug - https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=211745

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
              Its kind of crazy to think that overclocking (6000 series) is now becoming a supported thing and yet still no GUI. If there's anything that screams control panel, it's overclocking functionality.
              feral interactive game mode is laughing at you. and yes, you are crazy

Comment

Well since we're on the topic, I use VSR via custom modes for either X11 or Sway on a 5700, but indeed for the majority of users, creating custom modes (especially for all the possible ones one might use for gaming. sub-pixel precision for drawing/graphics is another glorious use-case) is a real PITA, and not something that probably most will even attempt. i just can't live without it ;3
                Also very cumbersome is that no games, native or wine, will list my custom modes as usable resolutions unless I explicitly switch my monitor to a given custom mode before starting a game. And since a game will only detect the single custom mode/res that I'm currently running, to change to a different custom res requires restarting the game after switching manually. Not smooth. I guess there's no standard place that linux gaming devs check for usable modes/resolutions? Maybe it's EDID and I'm just doing things the wrong way? My scripts work ok, but it's not a user-friendly experience in the least. ...not to say I'm not glad to have the functionality at all.

It does seem like a proper unified applet is in order by now. I think there are like 5 community-developed ones for AMD, and with a bit of overlap, but I'm pretty sure none of them automagically add VSR modes like the windows suite seems to. There has to be a way to make it one-click, and maybe at some point I'll look into doing it myself...

Comment

aufkrawall
                  How are you able to set the color range to "full" instead of "limited" with 'amdgpu'?
                  AFAICS, "limited" is still the only choice, which is pretty embarrassing for anyone with a monitor or notebook display...

See this bug report for reference, which has been open for many years now:

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
                    aufkrawall
                    How are you able to set the color range to "full" instead of "limited" with 'amdgpu'?
                    AFAICS, "limited" is still the only choice, which is pretty embarrassing for anyone with a monitor or notebook display...

See this bug report for reference, which has been open for many years now:
                    https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/476
                    It's true that there is no corresponding xrandr command with AMD, which really is not good. Though it doesn't assume "limited" by default for PC monitors via DP or DVI (Don't know about HDMI). I'd have to give it a try via EDID.

Comment

Originally posted by kbios View Post

Intel at least supports the "broadcast rgb" property to set the color range, although I don't see a property to set the color space (rgb/yuv)
                      RGB vs. YCbCr is one of those cases where no one has come along with a compelling use case (+ a sane patch ideally).

i915 does output YCbCr when absolutely necessary to drive the specific mode on the display (some displays can only do 4k+ with YCbCr 4:2:0). If the GPU can do native YCbCr 4:2:0 output we do that, but we can also output YCbCr 4:4:4 when combined with an older GPU that can't do 4:2:0 natively and a DisplayPort->HDMI dongle that can do the 4:4:4->4:2:0 downsampling for us. So all the driver specific code for YCbCr output is pretty much there already, the missing piece is the new drm property to control the output format explicitly.

As for the RGB color range thing, IIRC there was an attempt to introduce a standardized property for this across all kms drivers. But either it just totally fell through the cracks or the author abandoned it because I don't recall seeing any followup to the initial discussions.

Comment

Working...
                      X