Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XanMod's Linux 5.10 Kernel Helping Tap Extra Performance With The AMD Ryzen 9 5900X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ext73 View Post

Hi

ad. 1 yes, I turn the mitigation on and off - depending on the needs - with two clicks

https://www.dropbox.com/s/llmnyj9jl7...93941.jpg?dl=0

ad.2 Yes, I am compiling a kernel using Gcc 11 and despite the regressions still in existence, the kernels are very stable and I am able to get code performance unattainable for Gcc 10.2.x or LLVM/Clang 11

ad.3 This 'argument' has already pushed me into the ground hehe - compare gaming and reaction speed, e.g. running the application on my kernels vs Full PREEMPT - I built and shared PREEMPT kernels about 10 years ago. Currently, such a solution is pointless - except for RT kernels. In addition, the clock used in the Xana is 500 Hz ... I tested about 7 years ago ... now I go in the opposite direction and the latest kernels will probably have a clock of 125 Hz

https://www.dropbox.com/s/brsh4eaks4...95726.jpg?dl=0

btw. as for REDs, yes they xxxxx ... but I think in 4-6 months they will make C2077 a game worthy of expectations. Here, unfortunately, the pressure from investors turned out to be stronger than common sense.

And as for the C2077 performance - under the latest test kernel, I manage to achieve it on the indicated hardware - as it seen in the video - 24-38 fps in FullHD > Ultra
    I know from my own testing of Ubuntu's generic vs. low-latency kernels that both gaming & reaction times improved noticeably with the lowlatency option (especially minimum frame-rates & maximum frame-times).
    The generic kernel is using a timer tick of 250 Hz and only voluntary kernel preemption, whereas the lowlatency one is 1000 Hz + full kernel preemption (PREEMPT).

Remember that Google is also using a kernel with 1000 Hz + PREEMPT on all of their platforms (Android, ChromeOS & Stadia).

Regarding CyberPunk 2077:
    It's a real pity that it turned out the way it did, since CD Projekt RED is one of the very few AAA game studios that have a no DRM policy (+ their GOG store is really awesome and an enrichment for the whole gaming industry).
    However, I'm afraid that it will take a lot longer than just 6 months for the game to get properly fixed up; I think an "Enhanced Edition" at the end of 2022 is more realistic - with DLC included it should hopefully come close to the tech-demo they presented @ E3 2018...

Comment

Originally posted by pkese View Post
      I have a new Ryzen 5900x and Ubuntu 2010's default 5.8 kernel.
      With a couple of problems:
      - the 2.5G Ethernet driver is missing in kernel
      - sensors don't report any CPU temperatures
      - EDAC drivers are missing, etc.

Is this to be expected? These CPUs have been introduced a few months ago and these drivers are available (in later kernels).
      Why wouldn't Ubuntu bother to backport these drivers to their kernels?
      Yes that's expected. You cannot really have a stable OS release and wildly upgrade the kernel. That's one reason I like Fedora because it moves faster. So you can wait for Ubuntu to catch up, or you can install updated kernels. There's several methods of doing that.

Comment

Waiting for the test CFS vs BFS vs MuQSS vs CacULE vs PDS. Especially in games. It's strange that there are few tests of schedulers on Phoronix. Saw on Reddit how weak machines got up to 40% difference. I wondered the same thing. So I searched for benchmarks and there aren't any.

Comment

Working...
        X