Linux's exFAT Driver Will Soon Be Able To Delete Big Files Much Faster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nranger View Post

In my experience, multiple distros and desktop environments prefer user space filesystems for transient mounts (fuse, gvfs, kio, etc.). I assume they do this for compatibility and ease of use, but it's absolute garbage for performance.

I recall setting up a debian box just a few years ago, where I wanted to sync a media share from the NAS. Being lazy, I just browsed the samba share from Gnome Nautilus, and was only getting about 40MBps transfer speed. After killing gvfs and setting up a kernel cifs mount, the same transfer was maxing out the gigabit NIC at over 110MBps.
    Same experience with NAS. But there is no fuse like trickery involved, there is the udisks deamon doing the mounts as root, just the autodetected settings seem horrible.

​​​​​​Gonna be curious how fast paragons ntfs driver will be, remember them boasting that it is faster than ext4.
    ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
      Same experience with NAS. But there is no fuse like trickery involved, there is the udisks deamon doing the mounts as root, just the autodetected settings seem horrible.

​​​​​​Gonna be curious how fast paragons ntfs driver will be, remember them boasting that it is faster than ext4.
      ​​​​​​
      I have found that ext4 to ntfs or vice versus is not too bad. However, using an ext4 system to transfer ntfs to ntfs is painfully slow. I have used both on my dual boot computer. I wonder....I seem to remember that the linux ntfs driver was very good at reading ntfs but very slow at writing ntfs. I read that a long time ago (over 10 years ago), but recent experience, at least for me. seems to confirm it.
      GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

Still surprised that logically saying 4GB is no longer allocated takes 1 second of compute time, it seems impossibly slow.

Comment

Originally posted by f0rmat View Post

You are correct there. Askeevy420 and you have now both showed their age. Well....I have Inagaddadavidda on vinyl.
          Well, it was written that "As of November 2020, Greatest Hits has spent over 900 weeks on the UK Albums Chart, and has been certified 22× platinum with sales of over 6 million copies, making it the best-selling album of all time in the UK", it doesn't show my age because as many people I bought that album many years after the 1978 Jazz :-)

Comment

Working...
          X