Linux's exFAT Driver Will Soon Be Able To Delete Big Files Much Faster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux's exFAT Driver Will Soon Be Able To Delete Big Files Much Faster

Phoronix: Linux's exFAT Driver Will Soon Be Able To Delete Big Files Much Faster

For those making use of Linux's modern exFAT file-system, a significant optimization is on the way for when deleting files with the "dirsync" mount option set...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i wonder why we still need to use fuse-exfat driver in openSuse tumbleweed if there is a in kernel driver version...

Comment

"modern exFAT file-system"
      That was a good one.
      And I thought FAT was ... acceptable at its time, but later it was just two crutches to walk upon. Then VFAT came and yeah, well, it was attached crutches to the crutches, so you could make larger steps. And exFAT, well, crutches to the crutches to the...

Still glad for any FS support that gets better, you never know if and when you might actually hit a media with these kinds of file system.
      However, I would have been much happier if industry hadn't accepted yet another FAT system; for there are better things. exFAT still isn't that backward compatible (is it?) so you need new drivers to access it. Moreover, industry might be forced to pay royalties to MS for every digital camera or whatnot that can read or write those media. (Or at least if they don't have their very own implementation.)
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Setif
        As far as I remember FAT-FS doesn't accept files bigger than 4G, dis that change?
        exFAT was made to overcome the 4GB file size limitation.

Comment

Originally posted by Setif
          As far as I remember FAT-FS doesn't accept files bigger than 4G, dis that change?
          Extended FAT, exFAT. It does, that's the whole point of this new FAT.

Comment

Fat format disks you make the rocking world go round

Get on your heads and write!!!

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
              Fat format disks you make the rocking world go round

Get on your heads and write!!!
              You are showing your age....but I guess that is The News of the World.
              GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

Originally posted by f0rmat View Post

You are showing your age....but I guess that is The News of the World.
                A very good album, though it's from Jazz (1978).

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post

A very good album, though it's from Jazz (1978).
                  You are correct there. Askeevy420 and you have now both showed their age. Well....I have Inagaddadavidda on vinyl.
                  GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

Originally posted by smartalgorithm View Post
                    i wonder why we still need to use fuse-exfat driver in openSuse tumbleweed if there is a in kernel driver version...
                    In my experience, multiple distros and desktop environments prefer user space filesystems for transient mounts (fuse, gvfs, kio, etc.). I assume they do this for compatibility and ease of use, but it's absolute garbage for performance.

I recall setting up a debian box just a few years ago, where I wanted to sync a media share from the NAS. Being lazy, I just browsed the samba share from Gnome Nautilus, and was only getting about 40MBps transfer speed. After killing gvfs and setting up a kernel cifs mount, the same transfer was maxing out the gigabit NIC at over 110MBps.

Comment

Working...
                    X