Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2FS With Linux 5.12 To Allow Configuring Compression Level

Phoronix: F2FS With Linux 5.12 To Allow Configuring Compression Level

While the Flash-Friendly File-System (F2FS) allows selecting between your choice of optional compression algorithms like LZO, LZ4, and Zstd -- plus even specifying specific file extensions to optionally limit the transparent file-system compression to -- it doesn't allow easily specifying a compression level. That is fortunately set to change with the Linux 5.12 kernel this spring...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope the Ubuntu installer adds f2fs support one day

Comment

LZ4HC is LZ4 Compression Level 9 and above (LZ4 -9) and not a seperate algo.
      The LZ4 benchmarks show the transfer + decompression time of LZ4 HC -9. Googling around I see some folks discussing an lz4hc command line app. Installing this repo, I only have lz4, lz4c, and lz4ca...

Comment

Id be more interested in this getting upstreamed tho: https://github.com/terrelln/linux/co...526eda5bbec9a9

Upgrades from a custom zstd based on 1.3.1 to 1.4.6, getting 3 years
        of performance improvements and bug fixes. On x86_64 I've measured
        15% faster BtrFS and SquashFS decompression+read speeds, 35% faster
        kernel decompression, and 30% faster ZRAM decompression+read speeds.

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
          Id be more interested in this getting upstreamed tho: https://github.com/terrelln/linux/co...526eda5bbec9a9
          That's the biggest reason to use ZFS over BTRFS. Glad that's being addressed. The kernel with actual zstd-fast support is a bit of a game changer.

Comment

Originally posted by Jigglywiggly View Post
            Agree, and I'd like <generic distribution> installers to support NILFS2 as well. I think the main reason it is not supported is the lack (in NILFS2) of a fsck capability - not even an executable that does a NOP and exits with 'success' status.

It would be helpful if there were a standard for filesystem installs such that the installer could call a script provided by the filesystem maintainer that did what was necessary, and returned a standardised result - a standardised filesystem-install API. As it is, it can be difficult to do what you want e.g. layer ext4 on LVM on LUKS or ext4 on LUKS on LVM. Add in RAID and it all gets horribly complicated. I live in hope that a rock-star programmer will come up with an elegant solution to replace the hairballs of code. I am not that programmer.

Comment

Originally posted by Jigglywiggly View Post
              Main annoyance with F2FS is that it demands checking the disk every time you start up. Which is annoying when you dual boot. If you only have one OS, then there's no problem, you can just suspend and reboot after installing kernel/systemd updates.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

That's the biggest reason to use ZFS over BTRFS. Glad that's being addressed. The kernel with actual zstd-fast support is a bit of a game changer.
                Main problem that Linux kernel devs have with ZFS is that it's out of tree, and they sometimes did stupid things like blaming the kernel for bugs in their code. If there was a nice in-tree implementation, everyone would be happier.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

Main annoyance with F2FS is that it demands checking the disk every time you start up. Which is annoying when you dual boot. If you only have one OS, then there's no problem, you can just suspend and reboot after installing kernel/systemd updates.
                  How do you mean be dual boot? If you open the same partition with two different kernel versions, yes.

Comment

Working...
                  X